CyBowl rises in popularity following recent updates

A+new+neon+sign+was+added+in+the+bowling+section+of+CyBowl+%26+Billiards.+Feb+8.+

Jacob Rice

A new neon sign was added in the bowling section of CyBowl & Billiards. Feb 8.

Students passing through the first floor of the Memorial Union will be greeted with the sight of a newly-renovated CyBowl and Billiards waiting for someone to go for a game of bowling.

CyBowl and Billiards have undergone renovations to provide an improved experience for students and give them a space to relax and go bowling.

The space is located on the first floor of Memorial Union and is open from noon to 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and noon to midnight Friday and Saturday.

Renovations have been present since 2021 as a means to update the image and style of the location. Entertainment operations specialist, Nichole Woods, has been in charge of keeping track of the changes and overseeing the development of the alley.

“After we began renovations at the end of 2021, we have seen a steady rise in bowling and billiard attendance,” Woods stated in an email, “specifically in student groups looking to rent out lanes or tables.”

Iowa State students play pool at CyBowl & Billiards on Feb. 8. (Jacob Rice)

Most of the major work for the alley is now completed due to school breaks during the last year. However, more changes are to be expected over 2023.

“We want to add things that will interest the students for events such as date night or graduations,” Woods stated. “We plan to include renovations like blacklight reflective wall wraps over the spring semester.”

Students have already begun taking interest in the additions, which include updated pool tables, a hacky sack set and a neon sign to promote the bowling alley.

“Most of the renovations were carefully planned out to test what students would like best,” Woods stated. “I think we made the right decisions to get people in.”

Despite the other additions, the bowling lanes remain the most popular among students and visiting families. Deserae Tiffany, a freshman in pre-business, visited the bowling alley during the weekend with her mother and friend, Benjamin Mann, a freshman in aerospace engineering, to relax from classes.

“So far, it’s really nice,” Tiffany said. “We don’t come here as often as we like, but it’s nice to take a break from all the stress. We’re hoping to come here a little more this semester. I honestly like how clean it is and how much more room is available.”

Although they do not visit it very often, Tiffany and Mann enjoy using the space to slow down and take time to relax.

“We usually like to have a little contest with each other,” Mann said. “It helps us take the edge off.”

Lauren Butler, a junior in environmental science, prefers to play at the pool tables. She attends frequently and has noticed some of the recent updates.

“It feels like a much more comfortable environment to come in with your friends,” Butler said. “My boyfriend and I come in three times a week to play pool and connect.”

Renovations have been made at CyBowl & Billiards. The goal was to create a relaxing and welcoming environment for all students. Feb. 8. (Jacob Rice)

Fresh paint, an indoor turf space and lawn-style chairs have been added to create a space that feels like a backyard.

CyBowl has also adopted some wood trim and lighting fixtures that have been removed from other areas of the Memorial Union. One staff member even donated the wrought-iron rails from his renovated porch, which can be seen near the bar area.

To many students, an old school look is now updated with a modern touch that gives CyBowl and Billiards a feeling of home for a casual hangout.

For more information on CyBowl and Billiards, visit the CyBowl and Billiards webpage.