Cyclones prepare to compete at Big 12 Championships

Courtesy of LUKE LU/Iowa State Athletics

Iowa State sophomore Ellie Braksiek hits a practice shot at Iowa State’s golf facility. 

The Iowa State women’s golf team will continue its postseason run at the Big 12 Championships, coming off a sixth-place finish at Big 12 Match Play.

The Cyclones look to ride the ship after a lackluster start to their postseason at Big 12 Match Play where they weren’t able to win their consolation finals match against Oklahoma. They ended their regular season breaking multiple NCAA records at the MountainView Collegiate tournament but couldn’t keep the momentum going.

Going into the Big 12 Championships, the Cyclones stay ranked 16th in Golfweek’s ranking, which is the third highest among Big 12 teams. This earns them a first-round matchup against No. 12 ranked Baylor and No. 9 Texas. Iowa State faced off against both these teams at Big 12 Match Play, notching a 3-2 win over Baylor but dropping a 2-3 loss in their matchup against Texas, who ended up winning the tournament.

At the Big 12 Championships last year, the Cyclones finished in fourth place after a three-way tie for first between Texas, Baylor and Oklahoma State. Two Cyclones, Liyana Durisic and Taglao Jeeravivitaporn, finished in the top ten with a three-round total of 221. The addition of standout freshman Karisa Chul-Ak-Sorn, currently ranked No.7 in the country by Golfweek, will surely make an impact for the Cyclones this year.

Another addition to the Cyclones squad that will benefit this year is freshman Pammy Chookaew, who was someone the team could count on for a win in their last outing. Outside of her one loss in her Baylor matchup, Chookaew was perfect, including wins against both of her matchups in bracket play.

The Big 12 Championships will kick off at 8 a.m. Friday and continue through Sunday, with one round being played each day. Live stats can be found on Golfstat, and the championship round on Sunday will be streamed on ESPN+.