People to People career fair to feature maximum employers

Robert Dillon
Stride Autism Centers talking with ISU student at spring 2023 People to People career fair in the Memorial Union.

At full capacity of 111 employers and many on a waitlist, the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS) will host the People to People career fair from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sept. 26 in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. 

The Colleges of Human Sciences and Liberal Arts and Sciences co-host the People to People. Tessa Brow, director of LAS Career Services, said “We partner very closely with our colleagues in Human Sciences Career Services, and it is a joint effort; I don’t want it to come off as it is solely an ‘LAS fair.’” 

Employers attending the People to People fair include but are not limited to the Cedar Rapids Police Department, the College of Saint Mary, Health Professions and the University of Iowa College of Law.

The People to People career fair allows students who do not feel their major or job fits into the category of any of the fairs their college hosts. People to People showcases government occupations, non-profits, hospitality, medical and law school compared to the business and engineering career fairs, which feature mostly corporate jobs.  

All career fairs are open to students of any major, allowing them to determine where their skillset is needed and expand their knowledge. “It’s important to meet new people and get that feel of what the real world will be like for us,” Conner Swanson, a sophomore majoring in journalism and mass communication, said. “Meeting new people at the career fair is so important when we are trying to establish networks for the future and now have so many different job opportunities.”

Students can connect to build relationships, learn and discuss internships, full-time employment and continuing education opportunities. “I think we can only be what we already know exists,” Brow said. “Expanding the network field and the jobs available leaves students an exposure to options.”

Brow added that utilizing the career services preparation tools is key to a successful career fair. Career Services offers 50-minute career fair rehearsal sessions, Building Your Resume Workshops, and Daily Advising Drop-in Hours through Oct. 10 9:30-10:30 a.m. and 1:30-2:30 p.m, LAS Career Services Office at 150 Carver Hall. 

“The career fair provides pretty big opportunities for students, so preparing yourself to take full advantage of it is most important to me,” Sarah Birt, a freshman majoring in advertising, said, “There are some massive companies and businesses there that could potentially be our future so over preparing feels impossible.”

Liberal Arts and Sciences Career Services suggests researching potential employers by clicking the ‘event page’ on students’ CYhire accounts and getting to know how certain companies operate and pose potential questions. The site also recommends having a clear schedule by making enough time to chat with all the booths students planned on visiting. Finally, LAS Career Services advises practicing professionalism by dressing appropriately and rehearsing an ‘elevator pitch’ before attending. 

View Comments (1)
$2700
$2500