Protestors arrive at regents meeting, board prepares for Thursday’s meeting

Ian Steenhoek/Iowa State Daily
Ring of Life Fountain, formerly known as the Marriage Ring, lies in front of MacKay Hall. Taken from the south.

The Iowa Board of Regents eliminated the public comment period at its meeting Wednesday shortly after protestors arrived outside the meeting room. 

Protestors chanting “education is a right, not just for the rich and white,” and “shut it down” could be heard in the meeting room. Those outside the meeting were graduate students protesting for higher wages, as reported by the Daily Iowan

Similar concerns surrounding graduate student benefits and rights have been echoed on Iowa State’s campus, including a group of graduate students leading a unionizing effort to improve working conditions

During day one of the two-day meeting, the Board of Regents heard reports of internal audits, including those regarding the Iowa State University Bookstore, Department of Animal Science Farms Administration, Workday Change Control and Youth Programs. 

The Bookstore was found to have a revenue of $24.1 million, and expenses of $23.5 million. The audit recommended the Bookstore update procedures for exchanges and re-establishing regular in-person shoplifting awareness training, according to Regents documents. 

The department of animal science farms administration, which has nine teaching and researching farms spanning 450 acres, was recommended in the audit report to increase compliance with university policy on keys and access cards, updating research agreement procedures, develop digital maintenance records and more. 

Toyia Younger updates the Board of Regents at a Sept. 27 meeting in Iowa City. (Screenshot courtesy of Iowa Board of Regents YouTube livestream)

Toyia Younger, senior vice president of student affairs, updated the board on the start of the school year, reporting university dorms and apartments at 96% capacity, which according to Younger, is the most students living on campus since before the COVID-19 pandemic.

Younger included that 4,500 students attended Destination Iowa State, up 9% from 2022, and this year the program had an increased focus on transfer students.

In her report, Younger spoke on her office’s progress on strategic plan projects, including increased support for student mental health. Mental health reports have been on the rise, and the Iowa State Police Department reported those increases. 

The Board also received an accreditation report, which saw seven programs receive accreditation:

• Architecture
  • Computer science
  • Cybersecurity engineering
  • The Greenlee School of Journalism
  • Hospitality management
  • Interior design
  • RN to BSN program

The Board accepted the following recommendations, and more, for approval at Thursday’s meeting:

• Proceed with project descriptions and budgets for the following:
    • LeBaron Hall replacement
    • Scheman Building renovation
    • Bruce McKee Indoor Tennis Complex remodel
    • Maple Willow Larch Commons- Seasons Marketplace remodel
  • Health and dental insurance rates
  • Iowa State Specialized Retirement Incentive Program report
  • Termination of speech communication as a major
  • Permission to proceed with project planning for the Human Nutritional Sciences Building
View Comments (1)
$2700
$2500