Iowa State men’s golf prepares for annual Fighting Irish Classic

Tyler Coe
Paul Beauvy tees off at the Hawkeye Invitational on Apr. 14, 2023.

Coming off their second win of the year, the Cyclone men’s golf team prepares to take their talent across state lines and head for South Bend, Indiana, to compete in the Fighting Irish Classic, hosted by Notre Dame University.

The Cyclones currently boast the title of the Hawkeye Invitational winner, as well as their dominant win at the Zach Johnson Invitational. That is without even mentioning individual Zach Johnson Invitational winner Luke Gutschewski.

As solid as a two-win season through three tournaments is, the Cyclones are not without roadblocks. The unmentioned tournament is the Gopher Invitational, a notable low for the Cyclones this season.

The team finished in a tie for 10th among 14 total teams. The only bright spot within the loss was a tournament-low second round score, but it was not enough. Notably, the host team for the Fighting Irish Classic, Notre Dame, placed two spots ahead of the Cyclones in the Gopher Invitational.

If the Zach Johnson Invitational helped the Cyclones prove themselves as a solid team, then the Fighting Irish Classic should be a chance to solidify themselves as a team that cannot be overlooked.

As is often the case, Gutschewski is the player to keep an eye on. Gutschewski has the opportunity to finish as the top Cyclone or among the top three, especially coming off his first-place finish.

However, the sophomore duo of Paul Beauvy and Zach May are also fighting for the top spot on the team. Both have been consistently near or in the top ten in each of the first three tournaments.

If the Iowa State team that showed up for the Zack Johnson Invitational goes to Indiana, the Cyclones could be competing for a third win. However, if the Iowa State team from Minnesota appears, the Cyclones will have to battle through the event.

The Fighting Irish Classic begins Sunday and concludes Monday. Live stats can be found here.