Stormettes hold first performance of semester

The+Iowa+State+Stormettes+Dance+Line+perform+to+Boys+by+Lizzo+at+the+entrance+of+Park+Library%2C+Oct.+2%2C+2023.+
Jacob Rice
The Iowa State Stormettes Dance Line perform to Boys by Lizzo at the entrance of Park Library, Oct. 2, 2023.

On Oct. 2, The Stormettes were finally able to make their debut performance for the school year at Parks Library’s Monday Monologues series after having to reschedule three performances due to rain.

The event began with an introduction by the group’s event coordinator, Susan Gent. Gent said that she was excited to watch the group perform this year, as they finally had some much-needed sunshine.

“I joined The Stormettes to express myself through dance and to meet people who share the same passion for dance as I do,” team captain and senior majoring in apparel, merchandising and design Brandie Paye said. “I also love witnessing my teammates becoming more comfortable in their own bodies and forgetting the stresses of school.”

At the performance, The Stormettes danced to a mashup of modern hip-hop and pop music. The dancers displayed a wide range of styles, from hip-hop to majorette style. To close out the performance the team did a showcase of the different majorette-style walks that they had been practicing this year.

Cierra Bryant, a freshman majoring in pre-athletic training and a new member of the team, said she was introduced to the group at this year’s Club Fest.

“I was really super nervous, but I think it went really good,” Bryant said regarding the performance. “I wanted to do something out of my comfort zone… and so they just seem really welcoming and they’re all about body positivity and everyone being included in it.”

Laurna Evans Lindsay, a sophomore majoring in human development and family studies and the president of The Stormettes, called out different walks and dances using hand signals during the performance.

Lindsay said The Stormettes was one of the first student organizations she joined at Iowa State, as she was interested in seeing the dynamic of dance groups and styles on campus after participating in dance groups when she was younger.

“My favorite part of being president is meeting new people,” Lindsay said. “Over the last couple semesters that I have been with The Stormettes, I have met a diverse group of people in terms of their year, race, ethnicity and overall backgrounds inside and outside of dance, which has been a great experience for me. I love meeting and getting to know our team a little more with each practice, event or social.”

The Stormettes will be performing at the Monday Monologues on Oct. 16 and the Sustainability Month celebration Oct. 23.

More information regarding the group is available on the Instagram page.