Beau Freyler earns Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week honors

Tyler Coe
Beau Freyler and Rocco Becht hug it out after Iowa State defeats TCU 27-14 in the Jack Trice Legacy Game at Jack Trice Stadium on Oct. 7, 2023.

Beau Freyler was named the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week Monday following his dominant performance in Iowa State’s 27-14 win over TCU.

Freyler snatched two interceptions in Iowa State’s defensive shutdown of the Horned Frogs. The first interception came deep in the Cyclones’ own territory, as Freyler ripped the ball out of a TCU receiver’s hands as he was catching the ball. The second came late in the game as TCU’s backup quarterback Josh Hoover threw a desperation pick right into Freyler’s waiting arms.

Both those interceptions were in the red zone and kept TCU from taking a lead or mounting a comeback. Freyler also recorded 11 tackles, which was the most on the team and set a new season high for himself. That was also his fifth game with 10 or more tackles.

Freyler bumped up his season interception total to three and season tackle total to 46. Those numbers put him in an elite category, as he is the only player in the Big 12 to rank in the top 10 of both. Freyler’s three interceptions also helped him crack the top 10 in the nation as he tied for seventh place.

Freyler’s Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week honor was the first of his career. It was also the second time this season that a Cyclone earned the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week award, as Jeremiah Cooper earned it in the opening week.

Freyler and the Cyclones will be back in action Saturday as they travel to Cincinnati, Ohio, to take on the Bearcats.