This week at the Memorial Union

The Memorial Union has another week packed with exciting and informative events for Iowa State students. Events will include live music, various craft opportunities and even a 90s hip-hop dance night.

This week commences the second week of Studies in Creativity, a showcase of student artworks featuring everything from canvas painting to 3D sculptures. Student entries will be selected to win a variety of prizes and awards. 

The Memorial Union Gallery Coordinator will select one piece of artwork for the Purchase Award, which will be bought and added to the Memorial Union’s permanent art collection. The gallery will be on display to the public until Nov. 10, Monday to Friday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. 

The reception for the gallery will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday. All students and visitors are invited to visit the gallery for free during open hours.

The Workspace will be hosting gamer week as this week’s create-your-own pottery theme. Students are encouraged to drop in and create pottery featuring imagery from their personal favorite video games. 

The event will be open to all ages if accompanied by an adult. Students and visitors can stop in Monday through Friday from 2 to 9 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. To-go kits will be available for an additional $3.

In addition to its pottery opportunities, The Workspace is also hosting word art crafts. Students and visitors are invited to transform paper mache letters into words to display on bookshelves, desks and more. The event is open to all ages if accompanied by an adult. The event will run through Nov. 16, Monday through Friday from 2 to 9 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The cost for the craft ranges between $12 to $18 if done in-studio, or $14 to $20 for a to-go kit.

Student Engagement Services will be hosting the second leg of its workshop series titled, So You Want to Start or Revise a Student Organization? Students can drop by the free workshop to learn more about getting an organization started on campus, the steps to gaining university recognition and how to create and revise an organization’s constitution. 

The workshop will be held from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in Room 3560 of the Memorial Union. Students can register for the workshop on the student engagement website.

The Student Union Board will be hosting 90’s Hip-Hop Night at 8 p.m. Tuesday in the Memorial Union’s Maintenance Shop. The free event will include hip-hop dance lessons from DUBH followed by a night of open dancing. The event will be collecting non-perishable and monetary donations for the SHOP, a campus-centered food pantry.

Grandma Mojo’s student improv crew invites students and visitors to join them for their Halloween special dressed in their best Halloween costumes. Mojo’s Halloween will take place at 8 p.m Wednesday in the Memorial Union’s Maintenance Shop. Doors will open at 7:30 p.m. and the price of admission is $1.

The Workspace will hold a Needle Felted Zombie Workshop hosted by Sarah Cady from 6 to 9 p.m. Oct. 18. Students and visitors will use wool roving and specialty needles to create their own miniature plush zombies. The event is open to those 18 and above. The cost of the class is $28 for students and $38 for the general public. All supplies are included in the class fee and participants will be able to take home a set of needles and foam block for future felting.

The Maintenance shop will be hosting William Elliot Whitmore at 8 p.m. Oct 21. The Iowa-born country and blues singer will perform live for students and visitors as part of the Maintenance Shop’s concert series. Tickets are $20 for students and $24 for the general public.

Cyclone Cinema will be showing Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One as its featured film this week. Showtimes will take place at 7 p.m. from Oct. 19-22 in Carver 101.