William Elliott Whitmore to perform live at the Maintenance Shop

Courtesy of Student Engagement
Courtesy of Student Engagement

William Elliott Whitmore will perform live at 8 p.m. Saturday in the Memorial Union’s Maintenance Shop. The Iowa-born musician has released a total of ten albums throughout his 15 year career, fusing styles of country, blues, folk and punk music to create an authentic and powerful feeling within his music. In addition to singing, Whitmore plays the banjo, guitar and bass drum to create a unique one-man-band sound.

Having lived his entire life on his family farm, Whitmore paved his way through music and has gone on to have tremendous success within the industry. He has performed across the world and toured with major acts such as Frank Turner, Chris Cornell and Trampled by Turtles. 

Whitmore began his career as a roadie for Iowa City punk rock band, Ten Grand. He soon started to open for the punk group and began touring alongside them. Whitmore quickly attracted a fanbase of his own and was offered a record deal with Chicago-based label, Southern Records. “Hymns for the Hopeless” was released in 2003 as Whitmore’s debut studio album. 

Since his debut studio album, Whitmore has gone on to release seven more projects, including “Animals in the Dark,” which reached No. 50 on the Billboard Heatseekers Chart. Whitmore plans to release his ninth studio album, titled “Silently, The Mind Breaks,” in January.

Now, Whitmore returns to Iowa to perform at Iowa State University, not far from his hometown in Keokuk. 

Whitmore’s Maintenance Shop performance will kick off at 8 p.m. Tickets are available for $20 for all Iowa State students and $24 for the general public. An Iowa State ID is required at entry to receive the student admission price. 

A selection of beer and wine will be available for purchase with a valid ID.

Tickets can be purchased in person at the Maintenance Shop or over the phone at 515-294-8349.

Tickets are also available for purchase online through MidwesTIX.