University Library will offer free screening of classic horror film “Nosferatu” to kick off Halloween weekend

There will be a free showing of Nosferatu, one of the first horror movies, in the Maintenance Shop on Friday evening.
Courtesy of University Library
There will be a free showing of “Nosferatu”, one of the first horror movies, in the Maintenance Shop on Friday evening.

The University Library will host a free screening of the 1922 drama/horror silent film “Nosferatu” at 6 p.m. Friday night in the Maintenance Shop. The event will feature free popcorn, soda and Halloween candy.

“For horror fans today, it’s a jolt and not in the way they’re used to,” said Michael Cummings, the digital scholarship librarian at Parks Library. “[Nosferatu] provides a really fun viewing experience for everyone involved.”

The film reimagines the classic “Dracula” novel by Bram Stoker, who is also credited as a co-writer of the film.

“Seeing a film with a live audience is a lot different than streaming something on Netflix at home,” said Susan Gent, the community engagement specialist at Parks Library. “[The screening] is a great way to kick off the weekend, and it’s free.”

The film is especially timely because a remake is slated to be released next year, starring Bill Skarsgård as the main character. Cummings expressed excitement for the remake but also said that this is far from the first time that “Nosferatu” has been repurposed for retellings. For instance, he pointed out that Count Orlok, the main character of the film, is a recurring character in “Spongebob,” which he finds “hilarious.”

“It’s fun and interesting and compelling,” Cummings said. “It’s a pretty classic example of vampire media.”

There will be a blooper reel shown at the end of the film, which will show the ways that the characters and themes of “Nosferatu” have been reused in media over the years, including in ways that “people making the film in the 1920s would not be able to imagine,” according to Cummings.

When asked if they think the filmmakers would approve of the ways the story of “Nosferatu” is being reused over a hundred years later, Cummings and Gent were optimistic.

“I hope so,” Cummings said. He also pointed out that “Nosferatu” was originally created as a “Dracula” knockoff, so he hopes that the filmmakers would be sympathetic to the idea of repurposing their work.

“Having your work relevant a hundred years later would be awesome,” Gent added.

The film is being shown as part of International Open Access Week, an annual event that celebrates open access to information, including scientific research, literature and films. In addition to screening the film, Parks Library also has a Nosferatu-themed book display, as well as an interactive Dungeons & Dragons display that discusses the game’s complex copyright and trademark history, displayed outside of room 150 on the first floor. More information on these displays can be found on the Parks Library website.