Iowa State’s 111th Homecoming week packed with events

Courtesy of Iowa State Alumni Association

Monday

Food on campus is an event hosted by the Iowa State Alumni Association each year that provides lunch for students on Central Campus from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Students are eligible for the free lunches if they have purchased a homecoming button. These buttons are available for purchase at the lunch tent or the Iowa State Bookstore for $5.

Monday’s lunch will be Jimmy John’s sandwiches.

Yell Like Hell, a greek community student skit competition, will have its first round of cuts from 3 to 8 p.m. at its stage on Central Campus, located in front of the Campanile.

Homecoming intramurals will commence with a volleyball tournament open to all Iowa State students from 6 to 10 p.m. at Lied Recreation Athletic Center from 6 to 10 p.m. 

Tuesday

Tuesday’s food on-campus lunch will be grilled hot dogs. 

The Cardinal Tournaments, a greek life athletic event, will be held from 6 to 9:30 p.m. at Lied Recreation Athletic Center. Members of fraternities and sororities will compete in various athletic events to represent their chapters.

Wednesday

Wednesday’s lunch will be catered by Hickory Park. 

Give What You Can and the Acts of Service Drop-Off will be held Wednesday. Donations will be accepted for Give What You Can from noon to 2:30 p.m., and the Acts of Service Drop-off will take place at 2 p.m. at the Alumni Center. More information on these events will be provided closer to the date.

The second round of cuts for Yell Like Hell will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. on the Central Campus stage.

Thursday

Thursday’s lunch will be catered by Tropical Smoothie Cafe.

The Intramural Tournament Championships will be held from 6 to 10 p.m. at Lied Recreation Athletic Center. More details to be announced closer to the event.

Friday

Friday’s food on-campus lunch will be provided by Pizza Ranch.

The 92nd Homecoming Awards will take place at 1:30 p.m. Thursday at Stephens Auditorium. The accomplishments and achievements of over 40 alumni will be celebrated at this year’s event. The event will be followed by a dessert reception sponsored by the Tahira and Labh Hira ISUAA Honors & Awards Fund. A full list of the award recipients and a link to view the live stream can be found on the Iowa State Alumni website. The event is open to all members of the public.

An alumni bags tournament will be held from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. at the Alumni Center. Proceeds from the event will be given to raise funds for the Cardinal Court Scholarship. The entry fee is $20 per team. Teams can register online via Google Doc.

The alumni bags tournament will be followed by Homecoming Happy Hour from 4:30–5:30 p.m. on the second floor of the Alumni Center. 

The Greek Alumni Reunion will succeed Homecoming Happy Hour, taking place from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.

The night of Alumni Center events will conclude with the homecoming pep rally and celebration from 6 to 8:30 p.m. The celebration will include the announcement of Cardinal Court honorees, Yell Like Hell finalists, the Iowa State Marching band, spirit squad and special guests.

All are welcome to view the homecoming lawn and pomping displays throughout Greekland as part of ExCYtment in the Streets from 8–10 p.m. on Ash Avenue. 

The night of celebration will come to a close with fireworks and campaniling from 11 p.m. to midnight on Central Campus.

Saturday

Cyclone Central, an event hosted by the Iowa State Alumni Association before each home football game, will be held from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. at the Alumni Center prior to Saturday night’s game. The family-friendly tailgate is free to attend and will include giveaways, food and fun for all ages.

The Iowa State Football team will take on the Kansas Jayhawks under the lights of Jack Trice Stadium at 6 p.m. to bring Iowa State’s 111th homecoming week to a close.

View Comments (1)
$2700
$2500