Reflecting on 10 years of CyBIZ Lab

Joseph Dicklin
CyBIZ Lab in room 3233 of the Student Innovation Center.

CyBIZ Lab will host its 10-year anniversary party Nov. 10, at the ISU Research Park CORE Facility Atrium. 

CyBIZ Lab is part of the Pappajohn Center for Entrepreneurship. Students who work at CyBIZ work with teams on business and organizational projects. CyBIZ Lab provides services to businesses and corporations, new businesses, startups and nonprofit organizations. 

Blake McClure, program manager for CyBIZ Lab, said the lab provides advising from a business perspective.

“What we like to tell our partners is if there’s something on your desk that maybe you don’t have time to deal with because you’re too busy dealing with the operations of your business, that’s what we can step in and do for you,” McClure said.

Students are split into teams of two to five and work directly with clients on a project. Hours are made on a team basis.

Alex Andrade, program director for CyBIZ Lab, does exit interviews with students as they exit the CyBIZ Lab program. 

“They always tell me the number one thing they get out of this job is the fact that they’re able to go into an interview and have up to a dozen different projects that they were in with different spaces and different industries,” Andrade said.

McClure said the businesses that work with CyBIZ Lab students come in looking to hire students out of the projects. 

“We end up having a lot of students at a minimum getting job offers from these companies,” McClure said.

Andrade said over the past 10 years the team at the Pappajohn Center has grown in size.

During the 10-year anniversary party, students will connect with past students and clients while also viewing highlights from where CyBIZ started to where it is now.

“The celebration of 10 years is obviously a celebration of the past, but more so, we’re looking towards the future from here,” McClure said.

McClure said CyBIZ works with more than just the College of Business. 

“We’re able to touch every corner of the university which is really unique and something that we’re really very proud of,” McClure said.

Judi Eyles, director of the CyBIZ Lab and the Pappajohn Center, said companies need help and that is what CyBIZ Lab students are there for.

“It’s great work experience for them, and the companies pay attention,” Eyles said.

Izzat Azmi, a graduate student in finance and an international student, said CyBIZ introduced him to what the American workforce looks like. 

“I’m very happy to say it’s a great start for me as an international student,” Azmi said.

Micah Walker, a graduate student in management and entrepreneurship, said this opportunity has been beneficial to him in starting his own business.

Both Walker and Azmi said they have worked on many projects and learned a lot from them. They said they have worked with survey development, research, market analysis and more. 

Walker and Azmi said they are looking forward to meeting alumni at the 10-year anniversary and seeing how CyBIZ has changed.

The anniversary party will be held from 3-6 p.m. Nov. 10 at the ISU Research Park CORE Facility Atrium in Ames.