Senate passes amendments on Operating Rules, funds Winterfest

Brielle Tuttle
Members of the Student Government during the meeting at the Memorial Union on Oct. 11, 2023.

The Senate unanimously passed the first round of updates for the Operating Rules of the Senate. Graduate and Professional Student Senate Senator Edward Mahoney, a graduate student in computer science, has been working on the bill since the 2022-23 school year.

“The first chapter deals with all of the stuff we do [at Senate meetings] specifically, the second is all our expectations for each other as senators and at-larges as well on our committees,” Mahoney said.

Mahoney said most of the changes to the document were grammatical to clarify the intent of various passages, as well as to make the Operating Rules more cohesive with future amendments.

“A couple of the substantive changes are more or less giving the speaker [of the Senate] a lot more discretion in disciplinary matters,” Mahoney said.

Mahoney said the rules committee reviewed all of the amendments proposed to the Operating Rules.

The Senate unanimously moved to confirm Inter-residence Hall Association Senator Tadiwa Mbuwayesango to the inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility (IDEA) committee.

“Tadiwa actually expressed interest in IDEA and he’s been reaching out to me,” said IDEA Director Abhiraj Agarwal, a freshman in supply chain management.

The Senate also moved to transfer $2000 to Winterfest, a free event beginning Dec. 1 before prep week, which will feature winter-themed events, activities, displays and traditions to help students relieve their end-of-semester stress, according to their website.

New Business

Next week, the Senate is set to address:

• A funding bill for the Mens Hockey Club amounting $4,366.40.
  • A bill regarding amendments to Student Government’s bylaws.
  • A bill regarding Senate apportionment.
  • A bill regarding revisions to the election commission’s code.