Student climbers share personal experiences with the sport

Mikinna Kerns

From bouldering to top rope, the climbers of Iowa State have discovered scaling the walls of the State Gym and Lied Recreation Athletic Center provides them with problem-solving skills and an active and close-knit community. 

Iowa State offers several climbing opportunities aimed at helping students obtain diverse skill sets as they gain climbing experience.

Sean Houchins-McCallum, a sophomore in computer science, said that his favorite aspect of bouldering is that, “Every climb you do is different, and every boulder is a new puzzle to solve. I’ve been climbing for 10 years, and there are still moves I do that I think are unique and that I have never done something like it before.” 

Many students also appreciate the team-building aspect of the sport and find that working with others on these problems and newfound skills brings out a community-building side of climbing. 

“I love the problem-solving aspects of bouldering and just the community and being able to work with others on the problems. I’ve gotten physically stronger and also made new friends,” Micah Scheaffer, a sophomore in mechanical engineering, stated in email communication with the Daily

The ISUMCC is a student organization dedicated to bringing climbers together. The group discusses the technical aspects of climbing and educates new climbers on the basics of bouldering and top rope, as well as other related sports, including backpacking and ice climbing. 

Houchins-McCallum stated in email communication with the Daily that bouldering has surrounded him with a fun and supportive group and that he has had the opportunity to go on several trips with his fellow members. 

Climbing trips and workshops are available throughout the year and are available for sign-up through ISU Recreation Services.

View Comments (1)
$2700
$2500