BOLD Resource Fair to showcase opportunities for underrepresented students

Courtesy of Steven Waddell
BOLD learning community members learn leadership skills, career fair etiquette, how to tackle anxiety and manage stress as well as other skills at meetings. 

The BOLD learning community is hosting its first Student Resource Fair on Thursday to introduce campus organizations that provide academic, professional and social support to students.

BOLD, a one-credit course and learning community open to first-year and transfer students of color within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, aims to provide students with leadership and academic opportunities.

Jamal Beavers, a freshman in psychology and member of BOLD, said he has worked on planning the resource fair within the organization since September.

“[The resource fair] will definitely give an opportunity for those in the organizations to not only bring more awareness to students who may not know about them but provide a message for students who may feel intimidated or may feel like there’s no place for them here in Iowa State, when there are organizations for them,” Beavers said.

Student organizations presenting at the resource fair are:

• WiSE (Women in Science and Engineering)
  • TRiO
  • Coalition of Black Male Students
  • Black Student Association/Big 12
  • Multicultural Student Affairs
  • International Students and Scholars Office
  • Color of Love
  • NCORE-ISCORE
  • African Students Association
  • McNair

Beavers said the motivation behind the project was to generate awareness of student-oriented organizations for minority and underrepresented students on campus. Beavers said he felt minority students may not know much about the resources available and could empathize with newer students who may be intimidated by the process.

“I did find myself a little bit intimidated when I came [to Iowa State],” Beavers said. “I remember my first ever ClubFest interaction, and there was so much happening at once. I know personally how much trouble it is navigating that.”

The Student Resource Fair, Beavers said, aims to create an informal space for multicultural student organizations to showcase themselves.

“We want it to be engaging, we want it to be fun and we want the students to feel comfortable, which is why it’s better to have a more informal feel,” Beavers said.

The event will be held from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Thursday on the main floor of the Student Innovation Center.

Find more about BOLD events on Instagram.