ISUPD holiday student photo shoot returns for second year

Courtesy of ISUPD
The holiday tree is across from Beardshear Hall on central campus. The tradition started in 1914 but was discontinued for many years until it started up again in 1946, according to Cardinal Tales. 

The Iowa State University Police Department (ISUPD) spent Monday evening taking pictures of students with the holiday tree on Central Campus to increase community engagement.

The holiday tree, set up as part of WinterFest every year, is a tradition for students to take pictures in front of the tree in the final weeks of the semester.

This year marks the second year of the ISUPD hosting this event. With the success from the first year, ISUPD was excited to bring the holiday spirit again this year, said Natasha Greene, engagement and inclusion officer.

“The idea actually originated out of us hearing parents and families, mostly on social media, asking their students to take a picture in front of the tree as a part of the student tradition, and so we’re trying to facilitate another opportunity for that to happen,” Greene said.

Aside from taking pictures for the students, ISUPD partnered with the on-campus ROTC program to raise donations for Toys for Tots. All donations will be sent to the local chapter to be distributed to families during the holiday season.

Greene said ISUPD hoped this event encouraged students to take a break from studying as the university approaches finals week.

“​​I just think this is a stressful time of the semester for so many people, and getting a brief time outside, even if it’s freezing, helps all of us with our overall wellness,” Greene said.

Looking into the rest of prep week, ISUPD has several other events planned for students. Officers will visit Parks Library with the therapy dogs from 11 a.m. to noon Wednesday. Officers will hand out stuffed ferrets at the library from 6 to 7 p.m. Thursday.

The staff at the ISUPD wishes students the best of luck as they finish the semester and head home for the holidays.

“I would love to acknowledge how hard the students have been working both on campus and in all the other facets of their lives and remember that wellbeing is multifaceted, and we support their whole selves, not just the academic side,” Greene said.