CyCash payment program discontinued after 22 years

Photo: Blake Lanser/Iowa State Daily

After 22 years of operation, Iowa State has made the decision to discontinue the CyCash program. This move comes as part of the university’s ongoing efforts to convert the campus into a cashless environment.

CyCash is a payment method created by Iowa State in 2002 as a convenient way for students to pay for various campus services. The program aimed to eliminate the need for students to carry cash for small purchases such as laundry and dining.

“Essentially, it’s just not needed anymore… there are so many cashless payment options that already exist today,” Lauren Schalinske, Iowa State’s divisional communications lead, said. “All of the campus services that currently or formerly accepted CyCash, also accept alternate cashless payment options.”

Students with existing CyCash balances are advised to consider their options prior to the official cessation of the program on May 10. Students have the option to either spend their remaining balances or opt for a $25 processing fee to have their remaining balance added back to their U-Bill. Students are highly encouraged to take action on their remaining balances as they will become invalid after the program termination date. Existing balances can be viewed through the student tab in AccessPlus.

While this may come as an inconvenience to some students, Schalinske stated that the university has not received any concerns or complaints since the initial announcement of the discontinuation.

As Iowa State continues its efforts toward creating a cashless campus, the university has worked to create new alternative payment options for its students, such as the use of student IDs as debit cards.

“Students can now use their ISU ID cards as a debit card with a valid U.S. Bank account,” Schalinske said. “To link your ISU card to a U.S. Bank account, all you need to do is stop by your local U.S. Bank branch.”

As the CyCash era draws to a close, students and members of the Iowa State community can expect new campus initiatives and the development in working toward a system of ease and convenience.

“That’s really the priority and the focus; to provide efficient and positive customer service experiences through being completely cashless,” Schalinske said.

View Comments (2)
$2700
$2500