Beyond Welch: Ranking the bars of Downtown Ames

Grant Tetmeyer

For Iowa State students, a typical night out consists of hopping from bar to bar on Welch Avenue—AJ’s, Sips, Cys, even the occasional Mother’s Pub—and ending the night with a trip to Mr. Burrito or a slice at Jeff’s. Many, however, are unaware of the hidden gems that lie along Downtown Ames’ Main Street: a new world of nightlife, packed with engaging atmospheres, live music and, most importantly for college students, cheap drinks.

While not all of the many establishments of the Downtown Ames area could make the list, these bars stand out as some of the most unique and memorable atmospheres.

1. Sam’s Place

For those looking to catch an Iowa State game, have a few drinks and even shoot some pool at halftime, Sam’s Place is the place to be. Described as “a Dave & Buster’s for adults” by bartender Jessica Fisher, the two-level sports bar truly has something for everyone.

The lower level of Sam’s contains enough billiards tables to host a major tournament, which they occasionally do. The first floor also contains designated areas for cornhole and arcade games, with bars on either side of the dividing wall. The upper level houses a more compact room, containing a few tables, billiards tables and a wrap-around bar. The upstairs level has a more relaxed atmosphere for those looking to escape from the crowd below. Altogether, Sam’s Place has something for everyone and hosts a lively and enjoyable atmosphere for people of all ages…over 21.

Highlights: Billiards, cornhole, gameday atmosphere

Specialty Drink: The Jessarita (8/10)

Fisher’s original creation, the Jessarita consists of tequila, simple syrups, mead rum and lemonade, putting a refreshing twist on the classic margarita.

2. London Underground

London Underground’s “Necromancer”

Upon entering the London Underground for the first time, you are instantly enveloped in the atmosphere of an authentic English pub. From the iconic red phone booth to the lively wall decor and memorabilia, it’s safe to say that London Underground brings the British pub culture to Ames. A dimly lit space with swanky music, the London Underground is the place to be if you are looking for a classy outing with friends. 

Highlights: First-class atmosphere, specialty cocktails, craft beers

Specialty Drink: The Necromancer (10/10)

The holy grail of cocktails: the Necromancer. The one-of-a-kind drink consists of absinthe, elderflower liqueur, lillet blanc, dry gin, freshly squeezed lemon juice and a lemon twist garnish. While ordering one of these may get you a few raised eyebrows at any other bar, London Underground takes great pride in its specialty cocktails which will leave you in awe.

3. Time Out

Time Out’s “The Slimer”

Whether a fan of retro video games or just looking for a breath of fresh air from the college bars, Time Out provides a fun and exciting atmosphere when seeking your next favorite spot. Time Out began as an arcade in Nevada, Iowa in 2016. A year later, Time Out relocated to Ames and rebranded as a bar. Covered wall-to-wall with retro arcade machines, pinball and gaming memorabilia, Time Out is truly a haven for video game fanatics and lovers of all things retro.

Highlights: Vintage arcade machines, karaoke, pinball

Specialty Drink: The Slimer (9/10)

The Slimer, one of Time Out’s three specialty drinks, is a fluorescent green pineapple juice-based drink that comes complete with a green glow stick.

4. Sportsman’s Lounge

Apple Pie shot and homemade cookies at Sportsman’s Lounge

What could be described as AJ’s Ultra Lounge antichrist, Sportsman’s Lounge brings a one-of-a-kind, authentic small-town feel to the table. Sportsman’s even houses multiple slot machines in which patrons can try their luck at the chance for free drink tickets. While this might not be the ideal place to be for the average college student, Sportsman’s Lounge brings a certain character and charm to the table that cannot be found anywhere on Welch Avenue.

Highlights: Small-town atmosphere, slot machines, cheap food/drinks

Specialty Drink: Apple Pie Shot (7/10)

A classic homemade apple pie shot is the specialty drink of choice at Sportsman’s Lounge. These tasty beverages also pair great with the free peanut butter cookies, baked by the owner herself.

5. The Angry Irishmen

With live music, cheap drinks and an old-timey Irish pub feel, what more could you ask for? While one of the smaller bars in terms of square footage, The Angry Irishmen certainly makes up for its size with its vibrant atmosphere. With live music several nights of the week and patrons that always keep things lively, the Angry Irishmen never fails to provide a night of fun and entertainment.

Highlights: Cheap drinks, small-town atmosphere, live music

Specialty Drink: Mean Green Shot (7/10)

A creation from the mind of bartender Grant Brothers, this mean green shot features Absolut Raspberri, Midori melon liqueur and Sprite.

View Comments (2)
$2700
$2500