Iowa State drops sixth straight to No. 58 Kansas State

Sam Petri
Isabella Dunlap bounces the ball from her hand to the ground preparing to make her serve against Iowa during the Iowa State vs. Iowa meet in Life Time gym in Urbandale. IA on Feb. 16, 2024.

The Cyclones traveled to Manhattan, Kansas, and are leaving with a tough 6-1 loss against No. 58 Kansas State. Iowa State struggled to find any rhythm, which showed on the box score at the end of the match.

Once again, Iowa State began with a 1-0 deficit for the third straight match. The first doubles slot of Anna Supapitch Kuearum and Isabella Dunlap got shut down quickly, losing 6-2, and the second doubles match went unfinished, with Ashlee Narker and Gala Arangio leading 4-3. Kansas State won the third doubles match by forfeit.

Singles was a similar story. Dunlap, Narker, Arangio and Valeska San Martin Ramirez all got beat in straight sets by a strong group of Kansas State players. Dunlap lost 6-1, 7-5, Narker 6-1, 6-4, San Martin Ramirez 6-4, 6-2 and Arangio 6-3, 6-3. The only point the Cyclones earned came from the first singles spot, where Kuearum took down her opponent 6-2, 7-5.

Doubles trouble

Iowa State has not been consistent with its doubles play to begin the year, winning the doubles point in three of the first eight matches. Friday was not a different story. Needing to win both of the doubles matches compared to Kansas State’s one was an uphill battle that the Cyclones could not overcome.

Kuearum and Dunlap started slow and could not pick it up fast enough, starting the match down 3-0 before losing 6-2 overall. Narker and Arangio were trending toward a second doubles win but were cut short due to the first match finishing first.

Big 12 will be tough

Under first-year head coach Jaron Maestas, the Cyclones have had far from an ideal start to the season, but it will only get tougher.

Nine teams in the Big 12 Conference are ranked, including No. 1 Oklahoma State, who the Cyclones play Sunday. With a 2-6 record eight matches into the season, earning wins will be much tougher than some of the early non-conference matchups.

Kuearum continues to be a bright spot

Kuearum continued the case for being nationally ranked, earning a second ranked victory of the season.

On Friday, Kuearum knocked off No. 58 Vanesa Suarez, ending her undefeated campaign at six matches. This match also extended Kuearum’s singles win streak to three and gave her a 5-3 overall record.

The Cyclones have a quick turnaround as they head to Stillwater, Oklahoma, for a big matchup against No. 1 Oklahoma State on Sunday.