Iowa State tennis’ losing streak continues, Oklahoma sweeps

Jacob Rice
Freshman Gala Arangio retrieves a tennis ball after a singles match against Missouri State, Lifetime Fitness, Urbandale, Iowa, Jan. 20, 2024.

Iowa State was back home for the first of a two-match homestand when it got swept 7-0 by No. 22 Oklahoma on Thursday.

The Cyclones have struggled against both Oklahoma-based schools, as the last time Iowa State lost in a 7-0 sweep was March 3 against No. 1 Oklahoma State. Overall, it is the fifth time the Cyclones have gotten swept.

Oklahoma presented two ranked doubles pairs Thursday, and both dominated the Cyclones. No. 20 Roisin Gilheany and Dana Guzman wasted no time with their match, and they took care of Isabella Dunlap and Ashlee Narker, resulting in a 6-1 loss for the Cyclone duo.

Similarly, No. 55 Julia Garcia Ruiz and Zdena Safarova easily handled Gala Arangio and Juliette Nask, defeating them 6-1. Anna Supapitch Kuearum and Valeska San Martin Ramirez trailed 4-3 when their match was suspended due to the other matches completing.

No one from the Cyclones could get anything going in singles, as all six players lost in straight sets. Kuearum, Narker, Dunlap and Nask all took on ranked opponents from the strong Sooner squad.

Kuearum put three games on the board in the first set but ultimately lost 6-3, 6-1. Narker struggled in the first set but battled in the second, losing 6-1, 6-4. Dunlap lost 6-1, 6-0, and Nask lost 6-2, 6-2. San Martin Ramirez lost 6-2, 6-2, and Arangio lost 6-1, 6-0.

Last match improvements were out the window

In their last outing against TCU, although it was a 6-1 loss, a pair of Cyclones showed improvement and possible growth. Kuearum picked up a strong win after losing her previous two, and Narker took a ranked opponent to three sets. But neither of the two played the same against Oklahoma.

Kuearum started the match like she might make it interesting and possibly bring it to three sets but lost all momentum in the second set, losing 6-3, 6-1. Narker started the match slow and picked it up too late in the second set, losing 6-1, 6-4.

Doubles pairs mixed up

Thursday was Iowa State’s 10th straight match where they lost the doubles point, and at this point of the season, trying new things out and changing some things up has not done much damage.

For the first time this season, Dunlap and Narker played doubles, and Kuearum and San Martin Ramirez played together. Kuearum and Dunlap have spent most of the season together playing first doubles, so the pairings Thursday were some unfamiliar faces.

Dunlap and Narker did not gel as they had hoped and lost 6-1. Kuearum and San Martin Ramirez were figuring each other out, but it was too little too late, as they finished when they were down 4-3.

Another farewell match Saturday

Thursday’s match against Oklahoma is the last time Iowa State will face the Sooners as conference opponents before they move to the SEC next season, and the Cyclones take on No. 7 Texas on Saturday, a team that is also leaving for the SEC.

Before the Sooners left the Big 12, they eclipsed an impressive milestone against the Cyclones, reaching 39 wins to Iowa State’s one in the matchup history.

Iowa State takes on No. 7 Texas in another home match at 11 a.m. Saturday in Ames or Urbandale, Iowa, depending on weather.