“To me Holi is just happiness”: Students ring in spring with colorful celebration

Pictured+left+to+right+are+Sam+Mazzocco%2C+Edwin+Bonefont%2C+Jason+Jablonski%2C+and+Diya+Sarah+Paul+enjoying+the+celebration.+
Madeline Turpin
Pictured left to right are Sam Mazzocco, Edwin Bonefont, Jason Jablonski, and Diya Sarah Paul enjoying the celebration.

The Marston Hall lawn was full of color Saturday as students dashed to grab handfuls of colorful dye during the Indian Students’ Association’s Holi Party. 

Holi is a South Asian holiday and festival celebrating the arrival of spring. The festival is celebrated by the Hindu religion but is also culturally celebrated throughout India. Holi represents the triumph of good over evil.

Madeline Turpin

Participants of Holi are pictured wearing white, which signifies peace and tranquility and is said to prevent any negative energy while the clothes are worn.  

Gurinder Kaur, a junior LAS open option student, explained what the celebration means to her.

“To me Holi is just happiness. It’s like a springtime summertime. The weather’s nice; good times and happiness,” Kaur said.

The party was celebrated with a live DJ, samosas, dye throwing and dancing. Students danced in groups and cheered with greetings, such as “Happy Holi!”

Jason Jablonski, a senior in accounting, reminisced on his favorite part of the celebration.

“The food is awesome, but I also really like throwing chalk at my friends,” Jablonski said. 

Saeshu Murugan Indumathi, a junior in computer science and vice president of the Indian Students’ Association, mentioned how the Holi celebration and other events by the Indian Student Association are a great way to meet other students.

“At events like these, it’s when many Indians gather and they talk to each other, meet each other and come with their friends, and I feel like it’s a good way to get to know other people, and you might find a friend here too. It also brings us a feel of home during these events,” Murugan Indumathi said.

Srija Moola, the event coordinator of the Indian Students’ Association and a sophomore in management, shared her hope for students’ biggest takeaway from the celebration.  

“I would say take it to life,” Moola said. “Go into colors. Go into joy even if you’re in sadness. Enjoy it with others. We had seven different colors representing seven different emotions, so embrace each and every one of them and be happy.”