Need to Know: Ride sharing apps

Devyn Leeson

Safety is key.

Transportation can be a struggle for every college student, whether walking late at night makes you uncomfortable or it is unsafe for you to operate a vehicle, there are many ride sharing services in Ames that can get you from point A to point B.

Here are some of the services on campus:

Uber/Lyft

Uber and Lyft are two of the most popular ride sharing apps in the nation and both have active drivers here in Ames. Both companies have apps for iOS, Android, and Windows phones that allow you to request rides and connect with drivers.

Both companies have two options here in Ames depending on your situation. These options are their standard and then XL sizes.

The standard uber can hold up to four people and the standard lyft holds up to three. The XL sizes, which can cost more per ride, hold six for both companies.

Payment in Ames is only accepted by credit or debit cards. This information can be safely into the app you use to order the Uber or Lyft so you don’t need your card on you.

When riding in the cars etiquette is always important. Always be courteous to your driver and try not to trash their vehicles as damages can be charged to your card.

Most notably, if you get sick (throw up) in an Uber or  Lyft you will have to pay the cleaning fee which will be around $250.

Also, remember to tip your drivers for their service. They have to deal with all sorts of rowdy individuals as they operate during prime bar hours. In bigger cities, drivers for either company can accept tips in cash but in Ames tips must be submitted through credit or debit like other payments.

ISU Help Van/Safe Ride

Iowa State’s Safe Ride service can come in handy when you are in trouble late at night and need to find your way home.

Operating from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m., Safe Ride can pick you up anywhere on campus and drop you off anywhere on campus. They won’t, however, take you to or drop you off at a place off-campus like Campustown.

Safe Ride is completely free, but wait times tend to be longer as there are few cars operating through the system at any given time.

ISU Help Van, which is operational 24/7, can also help change a tire, scoop snow, bring you to the nearest gas station or jump start a car, but be warned, they won’t pick you up or assist you with your car if you show signs of intoxication. If you truly need help making it home and you are intoxicated it is always best to find someone sober to drive, or pay for an Uber/Lyft to take you where you need to go.

To get a Safe Ride car to pick you up, or the help van to assist with your car,  just call their line at 515-294-4444, or, starting Aug. 22, Safe Ride will be releasing its app for apple products that will be able to get you assistance at the touch of a button. Android already has the app available on the app store.

Starting Aug. 1, 2018, Safe Ride will be changing its hours to 9:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.

Zipcar

Last year, the university contracted with a new car rental service called Zipcar. For this service you can rent a car for as short as one hour or as long as seven days.

Zipcar has an annual membership cost of $25, but $15 for students, and then charges by the hour/day. For every hour the rental service costs an additional $7.50 or $69 for a full 24 hours.

Zipcar’s prices include gas, insurance, 24-hour roadside assistance, maintenance, and 180 miles of driving per 24 hours. To become a member, you must have a valid drivers licence and be at least 18 years old.

Currently there are only a few Zipcars on campus and their locations vary, but you can always find out available Zipcars on their website, and all you need to access one is the Zipcar card that you get with your registration to get in one and start driving.