Sara Marcketti named as the new CELT director

Iowa State University - College

Sara Marcketti was named as the new CELT director

Hannah Dong

On June 7, Sara Marcketti was named as the director of the Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching (CELT). 

Sara Marcketti, professor of apparel, events and hospitality management (AESHM), served as the CELT associate director since 2013. Starting July 2017, she served as CELT interim director. 

During Marcketti’s leadership role as interim director, she was responsibile for transitioning from Blackboard to Canvas, CELT external review and other leadership duties. She led numerous  teaching and learning workshops and helped undergraduate and graduate students become successful in learning and teaching.

Marcketti holds a doctorate in textiles and clothing and with a minor in higher education from Iowa State. She started her career at Iowa State in the AESHM department since 2005. Marcketti has received numerous awards school wide and nationwide. In 2018, she received FACS 100 Centennial Honorees Award from University of Georgia, International Textiles and Apparel Association Teaching Excellence Award, Iowa State University Alumni Association Outstanding Young Alumni Award.

In early 2018, she was named as a fellow of the Costume Society of America, which is the highest recognition award in her discipline.

“Sara has demonstrated outstanding leadership during her year as interim director, leading CELT through a successful external review, and overseeing the university’s transition from Blackboard to Canvas,” said Associate Provost for Faculty Dawn Bratsch-Prince. “She is also an accomplished educator in her own right, with a strong focus on the scholarship teaching and learning, and is a passionate advocate for student success.”

“Among Sara’s many strengths are her connections and involvement across campus,” Bratsch-Prince said. “She is part of the Closing the Achievement Gap Committee, which is focused on enhancing success for first-generation students, and is working with colleagues to develop interdisciplinary programming for the Student Innovation Center.”

Marcketti was both happy and honored to receive the job.

”I am excited to get started in the role. The Center provides extensive programming and resources that have helped many at the university with their teaching and scholarship of teaching and learning. It is an honor to have been selected as the next director.“ Marcketti said.