Know Your Rights session shifts focus to Temporary Protective Status

Chris Anderson/Iowa State Daily

The forum titled “Know Your Rights” held at Parks Library on Sep 7, 2017 was intended to inform students on policy changes related to the White House’s decision to rescind DACA.

Whitney Mason

On Nov. 6, 2017, Secretary of Homeland Security Elaine Duke announced termination of the Temporary Protected Status designation for Honduras and Nicaragua. For Nicaragua, the termination will go into effect on Jan. 5, 2019. Termination of TPS designation for Honduras will go into effect on July 5, 2018

On Nov. 20,2017, Duke announced termination to the TPS designation for Haiti, which will take effect on July 22, 2019.

TPS is a temporary benefit given to a foreign national due to temporary conditions such as an ongoing conflict, environmental disaster or an epidemic.

During the period when the TPS is issued, beneficiaries cannot be removed from the United States. They are also able to obtain an employment authorization document and can be granted travel authorization, according to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Currently, there are 10 countries whose citizens are granted TPS. The countries are: El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, Nepal, Nicaragua, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, Syria and Yemen.

Focusing on Temporary Protected Status, a “Know Your Rights” session session will take place Wednesday at 3:30 in 3155 Marston Hall.

The “Know Your Rights” event will give attendees the opportunities to learn about the rights TPS beneficiaries receive and information for Iowa students who have TPS.

Iowa State administrators and statewide experts will speak at the event.

Presenters for the event include Katharine Johnson Suski, director of admissions, Pete Englin, assistant vice president for Student Affairs and director of residence, Michael A. Levine, attorney and co-director of Student Legal Services, and Sandra Sanchez, organizing and advocacy director of American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) Iowa.