Photogenic places on campus

Claire Simmons

In order to keep your Instagram top notch during college, having the proper location is key. Well, classmates, that’s not a problem; Iowa State made the list for most beautiful campuses in the world, according to Buzzfeed, ensuring every inch is meant for your camera lens.

Christopher Gannon, photographer and media production specialist for Iowa State, said Iowa State has a strikingly beautiful campus, and you can make beautiful pictures anywhere.

However, we tried to narrow the list down to some key spots to photograph in your next years in college.

Campanile/Central Campus

Pull out your Eno’s ladies and gentlemen, it’s hammocking season. Central Campus at Iowa State is full of trees and places to hang out with your friends on the lawn or hanging in a hammock. With lots of natural sunlight, greenery and the Campanile in the background, it will make for a quintessential ISU student shot.

Christopher Gannon, photographer and media production specialist for Iowa State University, said Central Campus is one of the places he photographs the most.

With the campanile and surrounding buildings, this space can look good no matter what season, he said.

Beardshear Hall

“On a cloudy day, I’ll look to capture some of the architecture that is available on campus,” Gannon said.

The mound of steps leading up to the front door of Beardshear Hall can be a hike, but a great spot for a group photo or unique backdrop. Overlooking Central Campus, Beardshear has pillars and lamp posts, displaying Iowa State’s beautiful architecture.

Lake LaVerne

Trails circling around Lake LaVerne, equipped with a canopy of trees, gives an earthy backdrop without having to leave campus. If Lancelot and Elaine are cooperating, the iconic Iowa State duo will add an extra something special to your Instagram.

In addition to architecture, Gannon said that he likes to capture reflections when the weather is overcast.

MacKay Hall (inside)

Home of the College of Human Sciences, MacKay Hall houses majors such as apparel design, event management, culinary food science and more. With creative juices flowing, the interior architecture provides an inspiring atmosphere. The large lecture hall is full of beautiful marble and glass, providing a classy area for photos.

Morrill Hall

Hopping from a library to a gym, a museum and a chapel, Morrill Hall now stands as Iowa State’s first LEED certified building with sustainable products to help the environment. Located on the Central Campus loop, Morrill Hall cannot be missed with its large silver sculpture framing the brick double staircase.

Catt Hall

Currently the home of the Liberal Arts and Sciences, Catt Hall is named after women’s activist Carrie Chapman Catt and features 3,600+ bricks dedicated to women who have made an impact on society. Climb to the third floor balcony to see one of the best views the campus has to offer.

Alumni Center

The Alumni Center at Iowa State’s beautiful architecture and outdoor landscaping makes for the perfect place for weddings, reunions and much more. The landscaping surrounding the building has several gardens dedicated to different Iowa State momentums, all donated by Iowa State alumni.

Memorial Union

From the inside out, the Memorial Union is one unique building. Between circling around the Zodiac and the historical Sun Room to the fountain to reverse your failed exam curse and the beautiful stairs leading down to Lincoln Way lined with greenery, the Memorial Union is an Iowa State gem.

Reiman Gardens

“Another spot people don’t think of is Reiman Gardens,” Gannon said. “It’s kind of a sanctuary. A place away from campus that provides a nice bit of solitude and beauty.”

No matter where you bring your camera, Gannon said students should be mindful of the season.

“What looks beautiful in the spring could look average in the fall, and what looks beautiful in the fall could look average in the spring.”

Although Gannon can’t pinpoint his favorite place to photograph, he said that the nice thing about Iowa State’s campus is that it continuously shifts with beauty and openness, and he suggests students get off the beaten path and enjoy exploring it.