Recruiting notebook: a look at Iowa State’s recent commits

Chris Jorgensen/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State freshman Deshaunte Jones cuts up field for a big gain during the first half against Texas Tech.

Aaron Marner

Fans of Iowa State football may have noticed a huge leap in Iowa State’s recruiting ranking over the past week.

Iowa State’s 2017 recruiting class was ranked No. 52 by 247Sports, and until last week, the 2018 class was in that range as well.

Then, Mississippi wide receiver C.J. Bolar committed on Wednesday.

One day later, Creston, Iowa offensive lineman Trevor Downing pledged his commitment to Iowa State.

And Friday afternoon, Anthony Johnson Jr. of St. Petersburg, Florida, announced his commitment to Iowa State via Twitter.

Within 72 hours, the Iowa State 2018 football recruiting class had risen from five members to eight and Iowa State’s team ranking jumped from all the way up to No. 33.

Here’s a look at the three newest commitments.

C.J. Bolar

With his 6-foot-2 frame, Bolar could project as an outside receiver. But in his highlight tape, Bolar does everything.

He catches screens. He runs deep routes. He runs for touchdowns on receiver sweeps.

Because of his versatility Bolar won’t necessarily be stuck at one position when he gets to Iowa State. Even in his first year or two, Bolar could line up in the slot when Deshaunte Jones needs a breather, or on the outside in place of Hakeem Butler or Matt Eaton.

Trevor Downing

Downing is ranked as the No. 4 player in the state of Iowa. He’s listed as a guard, but like many talented high school linemen, he plays tackle.

Downing held offers from schools like Iowa, Kansas State and Missouri.

Thanks to his 6-foot-5, 290-pound frame, Downing could potentially play sooner rather than later when he arrives at Iowa State.

Downing is one of the highest-rated offensive line prospects in the Matt Campbell era. Only Sean Foster was ranked higher.

Thanks to his size and experience at tackle, Downing opens a lot of possibilities for Iowa State in the near future. Some other Cyclone linemen, such as Julian Good-Jones, can play multiple positions, which can lessen the blow after an injury to a starter. Downing should be a solid addition to the depth chart early in his career.

Anthony Johnson Jr.

Johnson, a defensive back, has great size for his position. If he were on the roster right now, Johnson would be one of just two Cyclone cornerbacks at 6-foot-1 or taller.

Johnson’s junior year highlight reel is filled with athletic interceptions, huge hits and last-second pass break-ups.

Johnson also marks a notable change in recruiting strategy from the Paul Rhoads era to the current regime.

Richard Bowens III, a freshman cornerback for Iowa State, also stands 6-foot-1. Some of the Cyclone cornerbacks in recent years haven’t had ideal height, which is a major disadvantage in the pass-happy Big 12.

Johnson’s ability to intercept passes and break up big plays should help him see the field at Iowa State before too long.