Iowa State women’s distance runners start strong in outdoor debuts

Maddie Leopardo/Iowa State Daily

Sophomore Grace Gibbons and freshman Gwynne Wright run in the 3000 meter invite at the Iowa State Classic at Lied Recreation Center on Feb. 10. Gibbons finished with a personal record of 9:45.00 and Wright finished with a personal record of 9:43.96.

Kyle Heim

Four Iowa State women’s distance runners showed improvement at the Stanford Invitational over the weekend, with each running a personal record. 

Sophomores Grace Gibbons and Kelly Naumann ran career bests in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, finishing third and fourth, respectively. Gibbons’ time of 10 minutes and 23.19 seconds moves her to No. 2 in Iowa State history for the event. 

Another sophomore, Anne Frisbie, ran more than 80 seconds faster than her previous personal record in the 10,000, finishing fifth in Section 2 of the invite.

Junior Evelyne Guay was the last Cyclone to run a personal record, finishing third in Section 3 of the 1,500 in 4:22.32.

Iowa State field athletes recorded three top-three finishes at the two-day event, with redshirt junior Katie Reeves finishing second in the high jump, senior Allanah McCorkle third in the long jump invitational and Bailey Righi tied for third in the javelin. 

Junior Tessa Krempel added a personal record Saturday in the hammer throw with a throw of 169 feet 11 inches. 

The Iowa State women’s track and field team will send split squads to the Jim Click Shootout Multi’s on Thursday and Friday, and to the Sun Angel Track Classic on Friday and Saturday. Both meets will be in Arizona.