Orientation Guide: Stay informed

Alex Felker

As you will soon realize, being a student is essentially a full time job. Short of all the classwork and essays and exams and presentations, you’ll no doubt be involved in clubs and organizations before long. Even so, it’s important as an American citizen to keep informed. Read the news—and it doesn’t have to be in print.

Keep up to date with what the Iowa Legislature is doing. Pay attention to the Ames City Council. Local politics may not be sexy, but they’re what impacts your community the most. As such, they deserve your attention the most. Being a college student isn’t some “get out of jail free card” for remaining an active resident of our great, free country. It’s your prerogative to stay informed and stay involved.

All the resources are out there. Short of reading your wonderfully, freely provided daily copy of the Iowa State Daily, the university provides a free online unlimited subscription to the New York Times to all its students. Take advantage of it.

Of course most of us get our news from the internet, possibly even from social media sites—and there’s no shame in that. Just make sure you’re getting the real thing. Like and follow relevant, trustworthy organizations like the Des Moines Register or NPR. Ensure your feed isn’t swamped in worthless content, and keep an eye out for “fake news.”

Staying informed is part of what it means to be an American citizen. Our globalized society works on an unceasing, unrelenting cycle. And you don’t have to view reading the news as some selfless, sacrificial act in becoming a responsible adult. It’s a selfish thing too. You’ll be better at making small talk. You’ll know what others are arguing and debating and commenting on. You’ll make connections with people you wouldn’t have before.

As a graduating senior, I really wish I would’ve stayed informed in my underclassmen days. The university is undergoing some pretty impressive, dynamic changes and it’s in all our interests to stay engaged as it does. With each class of freshmen, the total enrollment seems to break some new record. ISU is growing, Ames is growing and with that will come more conflict. Keeping up with the conflict is imperative, not just out of your duty as a student and citizen but because it’s in your interest.