Relationship advice: from friends, mentors, roommates, and everything in between

Maggie Curry

Student Wellness has information online for those curious about their own relationship and habits, including the stages of a relationship, do’s and don’ts and guides to spotting unhealthy relationships.

A committed relationship is not just between intimate couples. It exists between family members, friends and even mentors. A committed relationship begins by choosing, each day, to face conflict and resolve it together. 

From Student Wellness

Student Wellness provides a list of ideas for building loving, committed relationships, from following through on promises to asking for help.

From Students

Jacob Zirkelbach, CA: “Relationships of convenience are a trap I see many people falling into. The moment the person doesn’t live across the hall or sit next to you in class, the friendship becomes nodding to one another as you cross paths on campus all while texting one another “We need to hang out sometime!” 

Investing time and effort into a relationship is required at all levels to ensure it maintains a strong foundation.  Too often, we are satisfied with an occasional text, or a snapchat streak where we stay updated on each other’s lives. Good friendships are about being more than being simply updated, it’s being involved in another’s life. When you find those people you get genuinely excited about, don’t let go. It’s always worth it.”

John Hoelzer, CA: “It’s terribly easy to let people go from your life, so hold on instead. Build relationships and grow; there’s little more rewarding than coming to trust someone.”