Student Government shows support for students, faculty affected by travel ban

Ryan Bretoi/Iowa State Daily

Cody Woodruff, Steven Valentino and Rhett Thys listen to a speaker during the Student Government meeting Jan. 18 in the Memorial Union. 

Alex Connor

Emotions ran high Wednesday evening as Student Government convened for the first time after President Donald Trump’s executive order suspending travel from seven Muslim majority countries.

A resolution also passed unanimously regarding Student Government’s support for students and faculty affected by the immigration executive orders. The resolution was introduced by Vice Speaker Conner Tillo and Sen. Natalie Pellegrino.

While Student Government debated some of the language of the resolution, it ultimately hopes to show the Senate’s clear support for “all students and faculty, regardless of immigration status, of Iowa State University, no matter what immigration or religion.”

Student Government, through the resolution, is also requesting that Iowa State administrators promise to support all students and faculty “during uncertainties caused by the immigration ban, and reaffirm the emotional support for these students and faculty who are affected.”

Some of the senators expressed that through the resolution, they hope to make an impact that administrative leaders, such as President Steven Leath, they feel have yet to do.

“We want them to support those students,” Tillo said. 

During open forum, Graduate and Professional Student Senate (GPSS) Sen. Humair Nadeem recollected his first hearing of the travel ban. The countries currently affected by the executive order include Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. 

“There are a lot of people who are affected by this,” Nadeem said. “And you might know some people affected by this.

“The point I want to make here is [that] there is fear, frustration and distress in certain parts of the Iowa State community.”

He asked that those who may not fully understand the implications of the order to “try and see the world from their [those affected] point of view.

“If we just love other, respect each other […] this too shall pass.”

GPSS President Vivek Lawana also spoke during the open forum, informally on behalf of Deb Vance, interim director of the International Student and Scholars Office.

Lawana explained some of the perimeters of the executive order and shared that while the travel suspension from the seven countries mentioned does not immediately affect him, he, like many others, knows someone who is affected.

“I equal what Nadeem said, please go out, ‘give them hug,’ tell them it’s going to be all right,” Lawana said. “I have a lot of trust in this country; I, myself, am an immigrant.

“I want to think what has been done to this country has been good for reason.”

Iowa State community member Sarah Ashby followed Nadeem’s and Lawana’s statements, offering a helping hand to her Muslim classmates who may feel scared right now.

As woman and someone with mental illness scared of health care being taken away […] you are not alone,” Ashby said.

Progressing into special and general orders, two new senators, Caleb Larison and Yash Lekhwani, were seated to engineering and Inter-Residence Hall Association positions, respectively. Aiyna Muhamad was also seated as an at-large member to the public relations committee. 

Funding was also passed for the Iowa State University Pre-Veterinary Club to travel to APVMA Symposium in North Carolina, National Agri-Marketing Association for ISU Students to travel to a competitive trip in Dallas and funding for Cyclone Squadron to travel to Notre Dame for a basketball tournament.