Iowa State women’s track, field more than survives season opener

By Kyle Heim [email protected]

Iowa State distance runner Bethanie Brown finishes first in the 3,000-meter run at the Hawkeye Invite on Jan. 14, 2017, in Iowa City. 

Kyle Heim

IOWA CITY — Passing all of the runners once in the 3,000-meter run at Saturday’s Hawkeye Invite wasn’t enough for Iowa State’s Bethanie Brown, so she passed multiple runners twice.

Competing in her first indoor track and field meet since 2014, Brown recorded one of Iowa State’s three event wins at the Hawkeye Invite, finishing the race in 10:00.78.

The other two Cyclones who recorded event wins were redshirt junior Katie Reeves in the high jump, 5 feet 6 inches, and Iowa State newcomer Ariana Kuhn in the weight throw, 63 feet 3.25 inches.

Kuhn was one of 10 newcomers making their Iowa State debuts over the weekend in a meet some were just hoping to survive.

Christabel Okeke, a transfer from Coffeyville Community College, not only survived but impressed in her Iowa State debut, finishing fourth in the weight throw with a throw of 56 feet 5.75 inches.

“It’s actually been a little bit challenging because I came from a community college in Kansas, and the atmosphere and the intensity with sports and academics has been very hard to adjust to, but I made it, so I’m happy,” Okeke said about the transition to Iowa State.

Carsyn Spurgeon was another Iowa State athlete who just hoped to “make it through.”

Spurgeon, who was a 15-time Class 4A state champion at Vinita High School in Oklahoma, got a quick start on her Iowa State career with a third-place finish in the long jump.

The future of the team appears bright considering many of the returners have yet to make their season debuts.

Jasmine Staebler, a sophomore middle-distance runner who scored points for Iowa State in the Big 12 indoor and outdoor championships and quickly became one of the best freshman middle-distance runners in the conference, expects to make her season debut at the Larry Wieczorek Invite this upcoming weekend in Iowa City.

“It’s not like I’m coming in as a freshman anymore,” Staebler said. “I have a whole year of experience under my belt and I’m hoping that pays off and I can just keep some of my strength from last year.”

Other notable Iowa State athletes who have yet to make their indoor debuts include junior Jhoanmy Luque, who earned First Team All-America honors with a fourth-place finish in the triple jump at the 2016 NCAA Outdoor Championships, and a long list of distance runners including redshirt junior Erin Hooker, Anne Frisbie and Branna MacDougall, who all aided the Cyclones’ in their 2016 Big 12 cross-country title.