Women’s track, field events to watch at the Larry Wieczorek Invite

Emily Blobaum/Iowa State Daily

Junior Jhoanmy Luque competes in the women’s long jump finals at the Drake Relays on April 29, 2016, at Drake Stadium in Des Moines.

Kyle Heim

The Iowa State women’s track and field team will send many of its top athletes to Iowa City on Friday and Saturday to compete in the Larry Wieczorek Invite.

Pentathlon

A trio of Iowa State athletes, sophomore Emma Whigham and freshmen Aleenah Marcucci and Carsyn Spurgeon, will make their season debuts in the pentathlon Friday at the Larry Wieczorek Invite. Whigham finished 10th in the pentathlon at the 2016 Big 12 Indoor Championship. Spurgeon, who was the 2015 USATF Youth Outdoor Champion in the heptathlon, and Marcucci will compete in the pentathlon for the first time in their collegiate careers.

Long jump and triple jump

Junior Jhoanmy Luque is entered in both events at the Larry Wieczorek Invite. Luque finished 15th in the long jump at the 2016 NCAA Indoor Championships and took fourth in the triple jump in the 2016 NCAA Outdoor Championships, earning First Team All-America honors. She is also entered in the 60-meter dash this weekend.

Weight throw

Senior transfer Ariana Kuhn will try to duplicate the success she witnessed last Friday at the Hawkeye Invite, where she took first in the weight throw with a personal-best throw of 63 feet 3.25 inches.

1,000-meter run

Sophomore Jasmine Staebler will make her indoor season debut Saturday in the 1,000-meter run. The Guttenberg, Iowa, native emerged as a leader in the middle distance group as a freshman, finishing fifth in both the Big 12 indoor and outdoor championships. Staebler also will compete in the 600-meter dash.

Mile

Coming off a first-place finish in the 3,000-meter run at the Hawkeye Invite, redshirt junior Bethanie Brown is looking forward to competing in a shorter race — the mile — for the first time since her freshman season. Brown said she is focusing on using the indoor season as a stepping stone for the outdoor season.

3,000-meter run

The longest race at the Larry Wieczorek Invite will feature the season debut of sophomore Anne Frisbie. Frisbie was Iowa State’s top runner at the NCAA Cross-Country Championship in November.