Facelift coming for Iowa State’s Cap Timm Field

An image of what Cap Timm Field will look like once renovations are complete.

Jack Macdonald

“42 students. 4 majors. 1 semester.”

This is the motto for the design studio class that is remodeling Cap Timm Field, home of the ISU baseball club.

Cap Timm Field, located in the Southwest Athletics Complex, opened in 1968 and saw Iowa State’s NCAA Division I baseball team play there until 2001. With several outdated features, the baseball club decided to upgrade the storied field and inject life back into it.

The studio class currently has over 40 students and two professors leading the project. The class is open to anyone in the College of Design and offers real-life experiences in the field of architecture, interior design, landscape architecture and industrial design.

“This is as close as you can get to the real world,” said Sean Hickey, a fifth-year architect student. “Here you can’t ignore problems that come up on the drawing board.”

Bruce Bassler and Harlen Groe are the professors in charge of the project. Each has an extensive background in the field and Bassler has been in charge of the studio class for 19 years, with this project being his last.

“Each project I have done has been unique in their own way,” Bassler said. “This is the biggest class I have done a project with and this one probably has the most components to getting it completed.”

Components to the project include a new backstop, dugouts, seating area, plaza entrance and Cap Timm Memorial. In total, the team has roughly $60,000 to work with. Recreation Services will be providing $30,000, while the Athletic Department will be contributing to the Cap Timm Memorial.

Although the class just started the project, planning has been in the works for several years. The baseball club first brought up the idea to Garry Greenlee, Associate Director of Recreation Services.

“Garry had a 10-year plan,” said Matt Odland, ISU baseball club president. “We kept on him about changes, and renovations have finally started.”

Among the several changes that will take place at Cap Timm Field, none are bigger than the Leroy “Cap” Timm Memorial. Known as Cap, Timm is the longest tenured coach in ISU baseball history. Timm held the position from 1937-1942 and again from 1946-1974. In total, he held the head coaching position for 33 years.

“This is a big thing for our guys,” Odland said. “It’s an opportunity to get more teams and events to come to Cap Timm Field.”

The mural will consist of 22 poles that will create a silhouette of Timm’s face when you look at it from a certain angle. When you view it from another angle it will appear as just 22 poles. The memorial will also feature the Cyclones NCAA and National Collegiate Baseball Association accomplishment from over the years.

The meaning behind the 22 poles is much more than creating Timm’s face. The poles represent the 1957 team that Timm led to a conference championship and third place finish at the College World Series. Each pole will represent each member from the 22-member team.

The field will be completed by the end of the spring semester. In the mean time, the baseball club has found alternative fields to use for games and practice. Once the renovations are completed, the baseball club is hoping that the field can be more than an attraction for just college baseball.

“We want to draw attention to the field and how significant Cap Timm was in Iowa State baseball history,” Odland said.