Gym visits don’t require high-priced workout clothing

Janae Verhelst

Finding time to make it to the gym while in college can be tough for students. From homework, work and trying to stay social, gym time can be hard to come by.

Not only can getting to the gym be tough, but finding the right workout attire for students on a budget can be even harder. Running pants or shorts, a workout tank top and shoes can be expensive depending on the brand.

Lululemon, a high-end yoga-focused chain that specializes in stylish athletic wear and accessories, is one of the most popular yoga pants and attire worn on campus by women. The company’s workout pants can vary from $98-$118 depending on the manufacturing. But with a college student’s income, that may be farfetch.

Lululemon is a brand Michelle Goodman, senior in journalism and communication, wears often, but not because of the price.

“So many people automatically assume that if you wear Lululemon you must be wealthy because it’s considered a “luxurious” brand, but the prices at Lulu are very competitive with Nike and Under Armor,” Goodman said. “I think you get what you pay for in terms of pricing for work or gear. No retailer is going to sell you a simple pair of running pants at $100 if there isn’t something special about them.” 

Goodman’s favorite workout brands are Lululemon, Nike, Gap, Under Armour and Eddie Bauer.

If you are on a budget but still want good quality workout clothes, try one of the below retailers for high quality and reliable activewear.

Gap Inc.  

Gap is a clothing retailer company that focuses on the basics. A Gap outlet store is located in North Ames that has a wide variety of workout clothes for a reasonable price. A pair of workout pants at the outlet is only $30.

Fabletics 

Kate Hudson is a co founder of Fabletics, which is a clothing company that focuses on being “stylish and sells high quality gear at an accessible price point.” Fabletics outfits range from $25-$99.95 and include a top, bottoms and jacket.

Target 

Target is the second largest discount retailer in the United States and is a store many women are known for going in with one thing on their list, but leaving with 10. Target has always had a quality workout line called C9 champion. C9 Champion activewear is cheap and keeps in good shape for years to come.

For men, this is a different story. Some men care about how they look and some simply want the comfort that the clothes provide you. Matt Koziy, senior in computer engineering, said his favorite brand is Nike because it was cheaper than Under Armour.

“I buy dri-fit shirts and shorts and always free run shoes” Koziy said. “Nike sometimes has a bad rep for being too expensive, but I have recently purchased a shirt, shorts and shoes for under $100 at the Nike outlet factory.”