ISU women’s basketball out-rebounded against Baylor

Iowa State sophomore Jadda Buckley drives toward the basket during the Jan. 23 game in Hilton Coliseum against the Baylor Bears.  The Cyclones lost 77-61. 

Trey Alessio

The ISU women’s basketball team was out-rebounded and dropped another Big 12 game against No. 4 Baylor on Saturday in Waco, Tex. The final score was 78-41. 

Iowa State kept it close early on. Midway through the the first quarter, the Cyclones only trailed the Lady Bears by four points. Baylor led Iowa State, 9-5, with 4:29 left in the first quarter, and all five ISU points came from freshmen.

Baylor gained some momentum late in the first quarter and into the second. At halftime, Baylor continued to control Iowa State. The Lady Bears led 30-19 at the half. 

Junior Seanna Johnson led the Cyclones with eight points in the first half, but what really led to the Lady Bears’ early lead was their success on the boards. At halftime, Baylor snagged 34 rebounds compared to Iowa State’s 13.

At one point in the third quarter, Baylor jumped out to a 22-point lead. The Lady Bears put their foot on the pedal and didn’t look back. After three quarters of play, Baylor led Iowa State, 59-34.

The Lady Bears also continued crashing the boards in the third quarter. They out-rebounded the Cyclones, 14-5. 

Iowa State didn’t find any momentum in the fourth quarter. No. 4 Baylor continued its rout and downed Iowa State, 78-41. Baylor finished with 64 rebounds compared to Iowa State’s 25.

Johnson led Iowa State with 12 points. Freshman Meredith Burkhall finished 10 points, and freshman Bridget Carleton led the Cyclones with seven rebounds. 

The Cyclones have now lost four of their last six games. They will take on Kansas State on Wednesday, Feb. 24 at 7 p.m. at Hilton Coliseum.