Cyclone Hockey beats Illinois 4-2 in opener

Kennedy DeRaedt/Iowa State Daily

Freshman forward Aaron Azevedo and freshman forward Tony Uglem pass the puck against Augustana College during theĀ game Oct. 30. The ending score was 11-0.

Austin Anderson

Cyclone Hockey is still riding its wave of confidence and momentum after knocking off No. 1 Minot State last Saturday with a 4-2 victory over Illinois.

After ten scoreless minutes to start the game, Cory Sellers scored a power-play-goal off of assists from Trevor Sabo and Colton Kramer to take the initial 1-0 lead.

Cyclone Hockey struck again at the 16:46 mark of the first period thanks to a goal from Tony Uglem off of feeds from Aaron Azevedo and Kramer. The Uglem goal gave him the lead in goals scored for the Cyclones with 16, passing Kramer.

With eight seconds left in the opening period Zack Johnson was called for a five minute major misconduct penalty.

Four seconds later the Illini scored their opening goal to make the score 2-1.

At the 6:24 mark in the second period, Kramer responded to both the Illini and Uglem taking over his scoring lead with a goal off assists from Azevedo and Kody Reuter.

Eric Saulters brought Illinois back within a goal at 3-2 at 12:25 in the second period off an assist from James McGing.

Alex Grupe sealed the deal with his third goal of the season off assists from Drew Carlson and Sellers to make the game 4-2.

Illinois added a late power-play-goal after the Illini had pulled their goalie to create a 6-on-4 opportunity.

Cyclone Hockey and the Fighting Illini meet again Saturday night for the second game of the double header starting at 8 p.m. at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena.