AfterDark Review

Faith Venenga

Tony Revolori and the mentalist duo, The Evansons, performed at the final AfterDark of the semester, Friday November 8th. 

The Evansons started up the evening with bringing a guest from the audience up on the stage. She was asked to bring up her bag of her belongings. The guest pulled something completely random out of her purse and Tessa Evanson turned away and mentally tried to figure out what it was and guessed it correctly. 

Moving on to bigger challenges, the duo started to use people’s belongings, from id cards to photos, and Tessa would guess their name. One of the first of many names Tessa guessed was a student at Iowa State University, Sidney Matzdorff. 

Matzdorff was asked how her reaction was to having Tessa guess her name and she said, “I was in shock and couldn’t believe it. After she said my name I wanted to see more.” 

The Evansons moved on to something more creepy than figuring out people’s names. Jeff Evanson started asking if anyone has ever seen a ghost before. A few people raised their hands and then invited another student up on stage. That student was to pick another audience member and bring them forward to the front row. Jeff told her to close her eyes and relax, and then started moving his arms around the student sitting on stage. Before she opened her eyes, a photo was taken of her. 

Every member in the crowd at an opportunity to see the photo, and behind the girl was a ghost. She was the last one to see the photo, and she mentioned to the audience that the ghost behind her was the man who used to live in her house before she moved in. He worked with her mom before he killed himself. 

That had everyone in the audience shaking. 

Now there might have been some skeptical people in the audience, and the duo knew that. So they brought them up on stage to try and prove them wrong. Two students were brought up on stage to participate by holding a book and finding a random page. Tessa would be at the back of the stage writing down her thoughts on a white board. She got every answer right. 

Rohan was a student chosen because he was still skeptical after everything. After participating with the metalist duo he had some words. “Being up there made me feel something and I believed it.” 

The show ended leaving so many people faces in shock and questioning everything.

Tessa Evanson was asked about watching everyone’s reactions and she said, “I love the way people get shook and their energy is brought to life like on Halloween, but stronger.” 

After some people in the audience participated somehow during their show they all experienced something. 

“People experience something never before. They open their minds and their hearts,” Tessa said. 

Tony Revolori, best known as Flash Thompson in Spiderman Homecoming, was the final act of the night. He talked about how he got into acting, his family, working at Disney, and about a few of his roles. 

One of the things the audience members really wanted to talk about what Spiderman. Things weren’t always easy for Revolori at the beginning of playing Flash. He received death threats partially for the reason he wasn’t the Flash Thompson from the comic books. 

He mentioned talking to Stan Lee, the creator of Spiderman, and Lee told him, “People are vicious and mean. You’re going to be the best Flash.” 

Revolori was asked what he three favorite Marvel characters were and he chose Spiderman, Wolverine, and Magneto. 

After talking about playing Flash Thompson, he said, “It’s strange wanting to be an actor because you’re supposed to be someone else.” Then he went on about being more than one person and doing more than one job. 

Before Revolori left for the evening he wrapped up leaving some advice for the audience. 

“If you take anything out of tonight never do just one thing. You can be anything, do it.”