Gain upper hand on adulthood

Hundreds of students gathered at the Scheman Building to meet potential employers at the Engineering Career Fair on Tuesday. ISU students were able to connect with representatives from national and local businesses like John Deere and DuPont.

Taylor Borde

The 10 years people spend in their 20s help transition teenagers into adults. These years can be spent wasted on shallow ambitions or used to establish a successful future.

Success has many different meanings. Depending on who is asked, success could be a corner office, full passport or everlasting love.

True success blooms from personal contentment and peace.

Here are the stepping stones to achieve a fulfilling and prosperous life:

Don’t apologize for who you are

As an adult, you should learn to own your assets and flaws. These are what make you unlike anyone else. Being comfortable in your skin exudes confidence, which attracts people. Confidence, not crass, will do wonders for anyone with a positive attitude.

Be accountable for your life choices

In addition to being confident, you must own up to your mistakes and decisions. Don’t blame misfortunes on the past. Employers value people who own up to their mistakes, fix what didn’t work and move forward.

Gain a global perspective

Travel. Learn about new cultures and people of different backgrounds. Exposure to a different way of life could change the way you see the world. It will lead to better communication and understanding of other people.

Explore your interests

Take a new class, watch a documentary or try a new food. Figure out what drives your inner passion. Whether it’s cooking or photography, give it a couple weeks to test the waters. Finding enjoyment outside of school or work will help you deal with stress. 

Surround yourself with a loyal tribe

Sort out the true friends from the acquaintances. True friends should offer an endless support system and should always be honest with you. They should encourage you to be yourself.

Be conscious of your finances

While those new shoes, T-shirt or dress are tempting, take a step back and think about the consequences. Are the impulse buys really worth a low credit score in the long run? Budget early so you are ready for the time when mom and dad no longer help with payments. This will also help with financing big purchase in the future.

Read

Pick up a newspaper, magazine or novel and spend a half hour before bed reading. Catch up on what’s happening in the world. Or indulge in a fictional world. Either way, reading stimulates the brain and leads to better memory and stronger analytical thinking skills.

Drink more water

The difference water makes in the skin, hair, body and mood is reason enough to drink water. It will reduce wrinkles and protects joints later in life.

Wear sunscreen

Unless you are planning on looking like a leather bag, take the time to slather on some sunscreen. Once the rays have done their damage, there’s no going back. 

Save time for working out

In order to be your best, you have to feel your best. Working out helps release stress and positive endorphins that will improve your mood and increase energy levels. Life will only get busier once you start working, so develop the habit now while you’re still in college.

Learn to cook

Test out a new recipe every week. Microwavable meals will get old if you eat them every day, and you won’t be able to make it too long without an old-fashioned, home-cooked meal. Flip through mom’s cookbooks and ask family and friends for tips on how to cook on a budget.

Keep in touch with old mentors and co-workers

Send an old boss an appreciation email and ask how things are going. Or grab coffee with a close co-worker. Catching up with old connections keeps the network alive for future inquiries.

Adding all, a few or even one of these tips to your routine will benefit your career, health and well-being.