Bridget Carleton grabs Freshman of the Week honor

Max Goldberg/Iowa State Daily

Freshman guard Bridget Carleton takes a shot during a game against the Drake Bulldogs, Nov. 15 in Des Moines. The Cyclones would go on to lose 74-70.

Luke Manderfeld

ISU women’s basketball guard Bridget Carleton was named Big 12 Freshman of the Week for the first time, the Big 12 announced Monday.

Carleton, a freshman, broke the ISU record for points in a freshman debut with 28 against Hampton in the team’s season opener last Friday. She had a double-double in that game, registering 28 points and 11 rebounds in just 27 minutes of play.

She tallied her second double-double in as many games in Iowa State’s 74-70 defeat to Drake on Sunday. Carleton racked up 11 points and 12 rebounds.

Carleton, a Chatham, Ontario, native, is averaging 19.5 points per game, which ranks fifth in the Big 12 and first among all Big 12 freshmen. It also ties her for 16th with freshmen in the nation. She also ranks fourth in the Big 12 with 11.5 rebounds per game.

ISU coach Bill Fennelly has raved about Carleton’s abilities ever since the preseason. That was evident when Fennelly started her in both games to start the season.

“I’m just glad she’s here,” Fennelly joked after Friday’s win.

Carleton and the rest of the team will attempt to rebound from a loss at Drake against New Orleans on Nov. 22. The last ISU women’s basketball team to lose to Drake, which was in 2009, made it to the Sweet 16 in the same season.