Creative college concoctions

Rebecca Haars

College students are often tight on time and money, therefore, many make their food last by mixing strange ingredients.

While some students don’t mind making a $12 steak for dinner, others, like Angelica Diez, like keeping it simple when cooking their food. 

“I ran out of bread, so I resorted to my roommates’ tortillas to make PB&J,” Diez, freshman in psychology, said when asked about making meals in college.

When it comes to strange food, endless possibilities exist. Some recipes are simple two-ingredient combinations, and others may take some time for preparation. But most college students desire the easiest and cheapest meals.

Below is a short sample of some of the crazy combinations students have come up with.

Pineapple with cottage cheese

Any type of fruit works for this quick snack. The snack only requires throwing however much cottage cheese and the chosen fruit you want into a bowl, and it’s a lot healthier than mindlessly eating potato chips.

Yogurt with cereal

Money is tight, so making substitutions is inevitable. In this snack, cereal is substituted for granola. Once again, it’s whatever cereal is on hand at time, and the yogurt to cereal ratio is a personal choice. This snack is simple, quick and cheap.

Dill pickle peanut butter sandwich

It’s as simple as the name sounds. A couple slices of bread, a nice layer of peanut butter and some slices of dill pickles is all it takes. Breakfast time? First toast the bread, and the peanut butter will be warm and slightly melted.

PB&J hotdog

Run out of bread? Have leftover hot dog buns from tailgating? Become a resourceful college student and make a PB&J hotdog. The only ingredients that are needed are the bun, peanut butter, a banana and whichever flavor jelly is on hand. Simply slather the peanut butter on the bun, put the banana in place of the hotdog, drizzle on some jelly and the PB&J hotdog is complete.

Substituting is exactly what Carmen Frederick, freshman in marketing, had in mind when she was making lunch in her dorm.

“In college, you have to make due with the ingredients you have,” she said. “I wanted cheese on my ramen, so I made string cheese work instead.”

Pepperoni Ramen Pizza

Ingredients 

• 4 packages ramen noodles
  • 1 spice packet
  • favorite seasonings
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup cream
  • 1 cup ricotta
  • Butter
  • 2 cups shredded Fontina cheese
  • Pepperoni slices (or your favorite pizza topping)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425 F.

2. Cook ramen (following instructions on the packet), drain and set aside

3. Season noodles with on-hand seasonings, toss into a buttered 10.25-inch springform pan. Spread out noodles evenly to create the crust of the pizza.

4. Whisk eggs with cream and spice packet, and pour evenly over the noodles.

5. Place the pan in the oven, and bake for roughly five minutes.

6. Remove pan from oven, and spread ricotta evenly over the noodles. Sprinkle the Fontina cheese on top, and return the pan to the oven.

7. Broil for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and begins to brown.

8. Remove from oven and arrange pepperoni slices (or any other preferred toppings).

9. Remove the sides of the springform pan. Cut pizza into wedges and serve.

Nutella, marshmallow popcorn

It’s easy. One bag of popcorn, a handful or two of marshmallows and a few spoonfuls of Nutella is all that’s needed. Pop the popcorn in one bowl, and place the Nutella and marshmallows into another. Heat until gooey and then pour over the popcorn. That’s all it takes.

From snacks to whole meals to desserts, college students are finding all kinds of crazy combinations for simple meals. These are just a few creative concoctions that are most acceptable to the majority of people.