Editorial: 5 things we expect from our new health center director

The selection of the new Thielen Health Center director is quickly approaching. Two final candidates, Erin Baldwin and Shelley O’Connell, are awaiting the announcement alongside the rest of campus.

No matter who is selected, certain expectations must be met. For years, students felt they weren’t delivered the high quality treatment they were promised.

According the the Keeling report, “The consequences of a prolonged lack of skilled and effective leadership, diligent attention to staffing and the service model, capable operational and fiscal oversight, and accountable clinical management have seriously impaired [Thielen Student Health Center’s] organizational and operational effectiveness, endangered its accreditation, undermined the quality care and service it provides to students, created significant risks for the university and made student health care at Iowa State a source of increasing concerns and serious complaints.”

The Keeling report even states the consequences of a prolonged lack of skilled and effective leadership are detrimental to the health center’s quality of care and effectiveness, furthermore emphasizing the importance of a qualified leader.

The Iowa State Daily editorial board is not endorsing a health center director candidate, but stating what we expect from whomever is selected.

Be crafty

Some of the main findings in the Keeling report were deficiencies in how the health center handled its finances, operational effectiveness and infrastructure. The new leader of Thielen should know how to be crafty with money, time and space and use the available resources efficiently.

They should care about students

Students often felt they were undertreated when they went to the health center, according to the Keeling report. While parts of the health center’s services received positive reviews, such as the services of the clinical laboratory, digital x-ray service, pharmacy, physical therapy and the travel clinic. The biggest concerns circled around the core services, which are the services most accessed by students.

Open about the current state of the center/ realistic expectations

The nitty gritty details of the health center’s status was basically unknown until the Keeling report was released. Had the conditions been publicly noted sooner, the state of the health center could have been addressed much quicker. The next director must be transparent in what is happening to revamp the health center.

Medical background

The new director does not have to be a doctor, and in fact, shouldn’t be. Whoever is chosen to lead Thielen should be familiar with the workings of a college health center, whether it be in the finances, working with other leaders, etc.

Be engaging

The Keeling report stated that the relationship between Thielen Student Health Center and the Office of Senior Vice President, the office that oversees the health center, “reached a point at which improvements were infeasible and ultimately impossible.” It also stated that Thielen staff felt the health center was being “ignored” or “punished” for the problems developed while the previous director was in office.

The new director should be almost over-communicative with the staff and the rest of campus to ensure all parties feel appreciated and informed to cultivate the best quality of care for the ISU community.