EDITORIAL: Swipe right on a more diverse conversation

Danielle Ferguson/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State ranked no. 8 for the most right-swiped women on Tinder, according to a study released by Tinder, the social dating app that allows people in the same geographical area to connect with others of similar interests. 

A recently released Tinder study showed Iowa State was No. 8 in the country for the most right-swiped, or liked, women on the dating app. By the way, compliments to the beautiful ladies of Iowa State out there.

The men of Iowa State, however, ranked No. 50 on that same list. Not saying the men aren’t right-swipeable, but the rankings got the ISD Editorial Board thinking. Just like our campus’ rankings in the Tinder study, our editorial board is strong in the ladies category but is lacking in the number of right-swiped men.

We’re made up of three members — all right-swipeable might we add — who are the same major, ethnicity and gender. But while we can fairly represent these women of Iowa State in our editorial board discussions, we need some more diversity.

We want to swipe right on some new editorial board members, including men, people of color, students from different majors and backgrounds and other people who’ll make our board more diverse. Just like all the college students on Tinder, we’re looking for suitable matches for the ISD Editorial Board.

Our discovery preferences are set to welcome all ages, gender identities, racial backgrounds, religious or political beliefs, academic specialties and don’t require any selfie submissions.

Our Tinder bio would read: The ISD Editorial Board is looking for matches who are campus leaders, passionate students or simply just wanting to make our community a little bit better. We are hard workers who enjoy spirited debates and truly believe in what we do. In other words, we’re not looking for random hookups or Netflix and chill dates.

The job of an editorial board is to represent the view of the Iowa State Daily and spark public discourse, that hopefully leads to solutions, about issues surrounding our community. We aim to be the collective voice of the ISU students.

That’s a pretty tall order for three women, even if we are right-swipe material, so we need your help. No matter what you’re in this for, if you love to talk about important issues, care about ISU students or just want to make a difference, we hope you match with us.

If we are a match, please message us first. You can get in touch with us by emailing our opinion editor Madison Ward at [email protected]. We promise we’ll message back and not with a cheesy pickup line.

Anything else, just ask. 🙂