Responding to an emergency situation

Charlie Coffey/Iowa State Daily

Michael Davis and Carrie Giese, assistant director and program coordinator, respectively, for Student Assistance and Outreach Services, speak at the Next Generation of Manhood presentation Feb. 18 in Carver Hall.

Kyle Heim

The Student Assistance and Outreach staff is available at the Dean of Students Office to help students find the resources they need when an unexpected event occurs in their life.

This could be as simple as finding a class on campus to as difficult as responding to an emergency situation.

According to the ISU Student Assistance website, “In the event of a crisis requiring emergency response, [students should] call 911 or contact the Iowa State Police Department at 515-294-4428.”

Sexual misconduct and sexual assault

If the situation involves sexual misconduct — sexual assault or sexual abuse, sexual harassment and other forms of nonconsensual conduct such as relationship violence or stalking — students are strongly encouraged to seek immediate assistance.

The ISU Student Assistance website provides a list of resources available for students to contact:

• Emergency Services/Sexual Assault Response Team: call 911.
  • Confidential help is available 24/7 through ACCESS, the Assault Care Center Extending Shelter and Support: call (515) 29-ALERT; (515) 292-5378; or 1-800-203-3488.
  • For free, confidential health examinations or medical services: call Mary Greeley Medical Center – 515-239-2011 or the Thielen Student Health center – 515-294-5801.
  • For non-emergencies on-campus: call ISU Police – 515-294-4428.
  • For non-emergencies off-campus: call Ames Police – Call 515-239-5133.

The Iowa State University Dean of Students Office is the single coordinating office for all concerns related to violations of the University’s Sexual Misconduct Policy: Call 515-294-1020 for assistance

Alcohol overdose

According to the ISU Assistance website, If a student has any of the following symptoms of alcohol poisoning or is suffering from acute alcohol intoxication call 911 immediately.

• Unconscious or semi-unconscious state and cannot be awakened
  • Cold, clammy, pale, or bluish skin
  • Breathing less than eight times per minute
  • Breathing irregularly
  • Breathing with ten seconds or more between breaths
  • Vomiting while sleeping or passed out, and not waking up after vomiting
  • Pulse rate less than 60 beats per minute.

The Student Assistance staff will respond to the student’s immediate health, help students find the necessary resources and discuss the impact it will have academically.

In addition to assisting students with responses in emergency and crisis situations, the Student Assistance and Outreach staff will also help students dealing with emotional situations.

“If [students] are dealing with an emotional situation where they just want to talk to somebody — they’re not in immediate danger or need immediate help — come into the Dean of Students Office,” Student Assistance and Outreach Director Michael Davis said. “We would be glad to talk to them in student assistance and help them with their resources.”

Students seeking emotional help can also go to the counseling center on the third floor of the Student Services Building.

Anyone who is uncomfortable talking in person can send an email to [email protected].

“If for some reason someone would rather talk over email … one of our student assistance staff would respond to it and answer questions,” Davis said. “We encourage them to come into the office. It’s not judicial, they’re not in trouble [or] anything like that, it’s just someone who can help them and walk them through resources and services our university offers.

Davis said if students feel more comfortable talking to a community adviser or hall director, he encourages that as well.

Students can find additional information on the Student Assistance and Outreach website: http://www.dso.iastate.edu/sa.