Cardinal defeats Gold in ISU volleyball intersquad scrimmage

Ryan Young/Iowa State Daily

Senior Caitlin Nolan (right) and sophomore Branen Berta (left) both move to return a ball at the team’s open practice on Tuesday, August 18 at Hilton Coliseum.

Kevin Horner

The ISU volleyball team hit the court for the first time in the 2015 fall season on Aug. 22 for its annual intersquad scrimmage. The Cardinal team, consisting mostly of returning players, defeated the youthful Gold team in four sets (25-17, 25-18, 23-25, 25-15).

The veteran Cardinal team, led by senior Caitlin Nolan and redshirt junior Morgan Kuhrt, asserted its dominance early, taking an early 17-12 lead and carrying it through the second set before Gold battled back in the third set to claim victory and extend the match.

The late push by Gold was not enough, however, as the Cardinal squad claimed the fourth set and the match fairly handily. Freshman Jess Schaben led both sides in kills with 18 on 43 total attacks. 

Sophomore Monique Harris started at setter for Cardinal as both sides utilized the 5-1 system initially before mixing in the 6-2 as well. Harris registered 21 assists — splitting time with junior Suzanne Horner, who also notched 21. On the other side, freshman Remi Bowman carried the majority of the load, successfully serving up 19 assists.

On the defensive end, Sophomore Branen Berta led all players in digs with 21. 2014 Big 12 Libero of the Year, Nolan — who also saw no rest — finished with 16 digs and 5 assists. 

The Cyclones will begin the regular season against Dayton next weekend at the Cyclone Invitational. The match is set for 6:30 p.m. on Aug. 28 at Hilton Coliseum.