Additional ISU sports for fall, winter, spring

Brian Mozey/Iowa State Daily

Freshman Mary Kate Luddy swims the 200-yard butterfly. Luddy earned second place in the event as Iowa State defeated West Virginia 157-143 on Jan. 24. 

Kyle Heim

Swimming and diving 

The 2014-2015 women’s swimming and diving team earned a second place finish at the conference championship meet, its best performance in the Big 12 era. Kasey Roberts, broke the school record in the 200-breastroke twice on the same day at the Big 12s. Roberts will be a key returner for the Cyclones in the 2015-16 season as a sophomore. On the diving side, Elyse Brouillette returns next season after recording a first-team all-Big 12 performance at the conference meet. 

Tennis

The ISU tennis team’s season ended in the first round of the Big 12 tournament with an 8-15 overall record and 2-7 conference record. The Cyclones will return in the fall without Meghan Cassens, Ksenia Pronina and Caroline Hauge Andersen. Sophomore Samantha Budai said the goal next season is to win more regular season matches and win a Big 12 tournament match. 

Men’s and women’s golf

The men’s and women’s golf teams will return for the fall season after finishing eighth and tied for 10th, respectively, at regionals. The women’s team has a young nucleus of players to work with next season. Three of the five returnees will be just sophomores. The men’s team will lose Sam Daley and Scott Fernandez, two of its best golfers to graduation.

Softball 

Brittany Gomez was the highlight of the 2015 spring season for the ISU softball team. Gomez finished the year with 79 hits, a new ISU single-season record. The team will return in the winter for its 2016 season after finishing the 2015 season with a 26-28 record. 

Gymnastics 

Senior Caitlin Brown was the lone ISU gymnast to perform at the 2015 NCAA Championships. Brown will not return for the 2015-16 season, but Haylee Young, a freshman who competed as an all-around competitor in all 13 meets, is a candidate to help fill the void left by Brown.  

Men’s and women’s track and field

The indoor season featured performances by five competitors on the men’s team and one on the women’s team at the 2015 NCAA Indoor National Championship. Edward Kemboi was the star of the meet for the Cyclones, finishing first in the 800-meter run and earning a national title in the event. 

Kemboi was another highlight from the 2015 outdoor season, earning his seventh Big 12 title in the 800-meter run at the conference championship meet.