Letter: Corrections regarding Young Americans for Freedom

As the founder of the ISU Young Americans for Freedom chapter (YAF), I wanted to correct the poorly written article about the ISU chapter starting soon on campus.

In the article, myself and another student involved with College Republicans were quoted about the new organization starting. I wanted to say that both organizations are independent of each other. While College Republicans have conservatives and Young Americans for Freedom includes many Republicans, Young Americans for Freedom is a 501c3 organization that is ideological and activism oriented, whereas the College Republicans are primarily political and election oriented. Young Americans for Freedom cannot and will not endorse or oppose any candidate for office. Young Americans for Freedom exists to educate the student body about what conservatives actually stand for despite what we hear in the media, Hollywood and a lot of academia. We are here to provide an alternative perspective on issues of the day through activism initiatives on campus and bringing in prominent conservative speakers through the ISU Lectures Program such as the Katie Pavlich lecture on “Sexual Assault on Campus, A Conservative Perspective.” Every student who is in good standing with the university is welcome at Young Americans for Freedom and we do not discriminate toward anyone! While we are different ideologically and may be controversial, our aim is to promote more diversity on campus in the realm of ideological viewpoints and push for a more open campus where students, faculty, staff and administrators can discuss hot topics and disagree with each other, and not have to fear repercussions or a backlash because they hold controversial and politically incorrect views. To get involved, one may feel free to contact me at [email protected].