Save some cheddar, make some cheddar

Shelby Kramer

College can be tough, especially financially. We college students spend most of our time in class, doing homework, participating in clubs and/or school activities, studying and doing other college-related things. This leaves many students with little to no room to make some dough, which can be a pain because a lot of students are shouldering their living expenses.

Here are a couple ways you can both save and make some money during your time as a student and beyond. It’s always good to have extra money under your belt, so give these a try.

We’ll first start with the obvious: returning your cans and bottles and using a change jar. These are simple things that can pay off if you’re patient enough. Nowadays, can redemption can be a pain, but tough it out for the payout. Throwing your spare change in a jar is as simple as throwing your change in a jar. Just sit back and reap the rewards of your long-term collection.

Another smart thing you can do is sell stuff that you don’t need and/or use anymore. Old clothes can go to places like Plato’s Closet in Des Moines, old iPods and cell phones can go to electronic vending-machine-type deals — in the Lincoln Way Hy-Vee — for cash, furniture can be sold on Craigslist and textbooks can go to numerous places in-store and online.

Nowadays, direct deposit is a common thing, but many people don’t directly deposit money into their savings account. It’s a simple thing to set up and you can change the amount to suit your preference. It’s smart and can be a nice cushion to land on, if you face a tough financial situation.

It’s always a good idea to shop smart by using coupons and buying generic, but it’s also a good idea to wait to purchase things until you know a sale is approaching. After-Christmas, the start of the spring season and Black Friday sales are abundant and the deals can save you a bunch. The only negative thing is that you have to wait to purchase.

Another way you can save some coin is by utilizing local student and military discounts. There are numerous deals around Ames for ISU students, including $10 off at Brown’s Shoe Fit Company, $6 off of a signature service oil change at Jiffy Lube and 10 percent off at Campus Garage. Just go online and check it out, plus it can’t hurt to ask if a business offers discounts.

Finally, avoid pre-cut things. Instead of buying individual pounds of meat, try investing in a large tube of meat and sectioning it yourself. Fruit and vegetable trays and containers can also be pricy, so hit up the produce aisle for the real deal and chop it in your kitchen.

Enjoy your life, keep it real and save some green.