Editorial: Act to improve our country

Richard Martinez/Iowa State Dail

At the end of the demonstration, protestors held hands on the ground as a symbol of solidarity. Around 200 students and community members gathered in a silent demonstration Wednesday morning. The protestors lay on the ground to signify the death of Michael Brown, a teenager who was fatally shot in Ferguson, Mo. The lifeless body of Brown was left for about four hours on the streets of Ferguson, sparking nationwide demonstrations in retaliation.

Throughout our nation’s history, we have seen various generations stand up to make our country a better place. We had those who were willing to fight and die to preserve our union and end slavery. We had a generation willing to fight and die in Europe to end the Holocaust. We had a generation who integrated schools, marched on Washington D.C. and boycotted buses to increase Civil Rights in our country.

Although those generations and more made huge strides toward making our country a more fair, equal and accepting place, the job is not finished. We still do not live in a country where your race, gender, sexual orientation, religion and more do not define who you are or how you are treated.

So why can’t our generation be the next generation to participate in a movement that will make this country and our world a truly better place? It’s our time to act.

On Dec. 10, about 200 people, of many races, genders and backgrounds, participated in a demonstration at Parks Library on campus for the Black Lives Matter Campaign. They lay down in silence for four and-a-half minutes to “die” for Michael Brown and to raise awareness about the existence of racism in our country. A march is scheduled for noon on Dec. 12 at Parks Library for the same cause. Participants are asked to wear black and carry a sign.

No matter one’s opinions on Michael Brown’s death, it is clear that racism and other forms of prejudice are not wiped from our country. Those who participated in the demonstration on Dec. 10 or plan to participate in the march on Dec. 12 are acting to change their society.

Today was a good start for ISU students, our generation and our country. But we can do so much more. Just about 200 people showed up to the demonstration out of almost 35 thousand students here at Iowa State. Where was everyone else who believed in the cause?

College is a time to learn, including learn how to improve our society. There are many ways to learn on a college campus. Unfortunately, most just think of lectures and textbooks as education, but we can also learn by doing. Students who participated in the demonstration on Dec. 10, learned how to exercise their rights and how to work toward changing society.

This is the perfect time for our generation to act and make a difference. On a campus with nearly 35 thousand students and around 800 clubs and organizations, it is safe to say that some of the students here are passionate about what they believe in. What good is having a passion for something if we are not spreading the news with other people?

What happened in Parks Library on Dec. 10 was the start of a movement on Iowa State’s campus and it is a high hope that more students will begin to share their passions with others at Iowa State. Expression is so important, but if we do not express how we feel, nobody will ever know.