Keep your paws off my mug

Kenzi Mongar

On November 13, students with blue paw printed mugs will gather at AJs Ultralounge in support of animals.

The “Mugs 4 Pugs” event offering mugs that say “keep your paws of my mug” offers special pricing and drink specials at AJs. All of the profits from the mugs go to the Story County Animal Shelter.

The fundraiser was created when seven students decided to collaborate with AJs Ultralounge, for their class project in small group communications.

They wanted to help an animal shelter since everyone in the student group loves animals, said Selena Woodson, a senior studying communicate studies.

The owner of AJs Ultralounge, Ben Singh, agreed to help them and give back to the community. Singh purchased the 500 mugs for $1,000 to sponsor the fundraiser.

The group has sold around 300, over half of them, said Paige Whiting, a senior studying communication studies.

AJs Ultralounge has never done something like this, said Laith Kanaan, a junior studying construction engineering and worker for the event. “A lot of the employees are fans of the animal shelter.”

Whiting and Kanaann both expect the mugs to be gone before Thursday.

The students on campus are happy to buy one once they find out it’s for animals, Woodson said.

The group has been grateful for the sales made thus far.

“We want to say thank you to the people who have bought a mug and supported our project, AJs Ultralounge and the animal shelter,” Whiting said.

The event will begin at 9 p.m. and go until close November 13, special drink offers include $1 off wells and $5 cranberry long islands (pug islands).

Once “Mugs 4 Pugs” is over, the group will volunteer at the Story County Animal Shelter after presenting them with a check.

“We hope to see everyone there,” Woodson said.

Mugs can be purchased at AJs during the event or Tuesday 5-8 by Es Tas, Wed 11-2 on Campus ad 7-9 on Welch, Thurs 12:30-3 on campus.