Editorial: Incorporate technology in classrooms

Blake Lanser/Iowa State Daily

Classrooms in Lagomarcino Hall utilize “media:scapes” to allow students to collaborate and share their screens with group members and class members to see and provide feedback. Other technology such as iPads, laptops and iPods are available for use.

Many of the classrooms on campus have several available ways to better lectures and instruction. Projectors, Elmos, SMART Boards and TVs are a few of the pieces of technology available. With all of this technology in the classroom, professors have many options to incorporate the available technology and better instruction.

Utilizing a projector can give students at the back of the room easier ways to see content and images. An Elmo can give students the ability to share their work and drawings for critiquing. With these options available, one would think everyone would be using these technological advances.

Advancements in technology have been made available to instructors for the very reason of bettering the class and bettering the understanding of content. The university has a dedicated team of information technology specialists to train professors, offer help and are on call when technology fails during class. It seems like this would be enough of a reason to use the technology, but not all educators use what is available.

In a survey, we asked 20 professors, “Do you utilize the available technology in the classroom during lectures and instruction?” Of those 20, 12 professors answered yes, while eight answered no. The eight who answered no were then asked, “Do you know how to utilize the technology in your classroom during lectures and instruction?” All eight of the professors answered yes.  

The 12 professors who answered yes to using the available technology, had a projector and an Elmo/document camera to use, while others had more advance technology such as SMART Boards and Mediascapes for individual student use.

These technologies have come a long way and have helped the university overall come a long way in accommodating the large classrooms. Five or six years ago, a lecture room of 100 might not be filled to the very brim with students, and images wouldn’t have had to reach the very final seat in the back row.

However, with enrollment as high as it has ever been, every piece of technology that can be used, should be. But these educators can only do so much with the information they’re given. If you’re a student who sits in the back row and can’t see the screens or slides, let the professor or lecturer know. If they don’t know it’s a problem, they can’t fix it.

With so many options available, training and encouragement to use the technology, professors and lecturers should consider what they have and utilize it to the fullest potential. With students here to get the most out of every class, modern technology shouldn’t just sit by the wayside when it could be enhancing the learning opportunities of those within a classroom.